Chapter Two

Ezra sat in his blacked-out car outside the Hallquist house. It was night, so he felt safe that they wouldn't be able to see his car. He made sure to park away from streetlights so he wouldn't be detected. He glared at the large, fancy house. He never really liked the rich but never felt as much disdain for them as Jearon does. It wasn't their fault that they grew up the way they did. They were just some of the unlucky ones. Now, they were comfortable.

He watched as Deacon Hallquist stepped out of his house and hopped into his car. Ezra knew it wasn't extremely late; it was only eleven at night. He knew that Deacon Hallquist always left his house at eleven o'clock and wouldn't return until three. He didn't know where he went, but Ezra knew he had plenty of time. He watched Hallquist drive down the driveway and the road away from the house. He didn't care where he went; he only needed him to be gone for as long as this was going to take. 

Ezra waited a few moments before sliding on a mask, hiding half his face, and stepping out of his car. The cover was going to ensure that his face was hidden from any security cameras around the property. He kept note of his surroundings while walking toward the door. All the lights were off except for one on the second floor. Ezra guessed that that room was where Aubrey was. He took a deep breath. He hated doing this. He took out his lock-picking tools. He got on his knees and played with the lock on the door for a few seconds before hearing it unlock. He slowly opened the door and stepped into the house. He was expecting to set off an alarm, but none came. 

Strange, he thought to himself. He quietly closed the door behind him, causing any light from outside to disappear. 

He couldn't see what the inside looked like and wasn't about to turn on any lights. He needed to get out of here and fast. He walked slowly and blindingly until he found the staircase. He carefully climbed them until he reached the second floor.

Ezra could see a little light streaming through the bottom of a closed door down the hall. He stalked towards it and leaned against the wall beside the door. He took a cloth and dabbed a few drops of chloroform onto the rag. 

Please don't put up that much of a fight, he hoped.

He turned towards the door and slowly pushed it open. The girl sat at her vanity, brushing her long, red hair. She was wearing a lace nightgown that stopped at her knees. He couldn't help his eyes traveling down the rest of her legs. Ezra shook his head from the distraction and walked toward the girl. He accidentally made the floor squeak making the girl jump and turn around. 

Her green eyes widened in fear as she pointed her hairbrush at him. "St-stay away from me!" Her eyes kept snapping over to her bed, and he followed them to see her phone on the nightstand. She wouldn't get to it before he got to her. 

Ezra stopped and held up his hands. He smirked at her underneath his mask. "Now, what's a hairbrush going to do against me?" He kicked the door shut and continued to walk toward her.

She scampered off of her seat and fell back against her bed. She tried to get off and run for the door, but Ezra was quick. He pinned her down on the bed with his body before she could get anywhere close to the door. He grabbed her wrists and pinned them high above her head.

"Wh-what are you going to do to me?" she whimpered. Her body was already tense underneath him. 

Ezra's smirk fell a little. He wasn't going to do what she was thinking. He wasn't a monster, just someone following directions. He leaned down closer to her. "My boss wants money, princess, and your daddy has much of it." She kept eye contact with him. She's braver than she thinks, he thought to himself. 

"You're going to h-hold me for r-ransom?" Her eyes widened even more. She tried to move out of his grasp and kept bringing her knees up. They were getting so close to kneeing him that he forced her legs so he was resting between them. This made her stop moving.