Chapter Twenty-Eight

Ezra had cleaned up the water that had spilled onto the floor during their time together before helping Aubrey out of the tub. They both got dressed and began to walk downstairs. Aubrey held onto his hand tightly as they reached the kitchen. Her father was sitting at the kitchen table. Asher and Rylan were standing behind him. Asher's face held no emotion while Rylan's face was pure disappointment.

Mr. Hallquist looked up at them when they walked in and motioned for them to sit down. Ezra stopped where he stood but didn't sit down. Aubrey stood right behind him and didn't make any move to sit down. Mr. Hallquist gave Ezra a pointed look before shaking his head.

"Where were you, Dad?" Aubrey spoke up.

Mr. Hallquist looked over at her. There was sadness and regret in his eyes as he looked over at his daughter. "We have something to discuss, Aubrey." He looked over at Ezra. "I need you to leave."

"He stays here," Aubrey spoke up while squeezing Ezra's hand tighter. She stepped out in front of him. "Whatever you have to discuss, Dad, he can hear."

Mr. Hallquist turned around to look at Asher. Most likely wanting him to help Ezra out of the room. Asher looked down and shook his head. "He's not leaving, Decan."

Mr. Hallquist huffed as he leaned back in his chair. He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Dad," Aubrey hesitated. "Where were you today? We couldn't find you anywhere." She started to take a step forward to him but decided against it.

Mr. Hallquist looked up at her. Ezra could tell that what he was going to say was going to piss him off. He was hesitating too much. If he was just out for a walk, he would have answered by now. Ezra's hunches were starting to look correct. Ezra reached behind him and held his hand over the gun.

"I was visiting someone today," Mr. Hallquist started slowly. "I had some business that I had to take care of."

"Why don't you tell them what business that was, Decan," Rylan growled out.

"Dad?" Aubrey's voice started to shake. Ezra wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer to him. Mr. Hallquist gave him a disapproving look, but he didn't care.

"I-" he took a deep breath. "I went to go and see Jearon."

Ezra had to tighten his hold around her waist to keep Aubrey from falling. She gripped onto his arm tightly. A small cry came out of her mouth. "Why?"

Mr. Hallquist looked at his daughter with even more regret. "Please, sit down Aubrey." He motioned to the seats in front of them.

Aubrey shook her head. "No, Dad. I'm not sitting down." She stood up straight and pushed against Ezra. She stepped towards the table and slammed her hands down. "Why were you talking to Jearon?"

Mr. Hallquist was hesitating again. Ezra sighed and shook his head impatiently. "Tell her," he growled.

"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you, Aubrey," his voice shook. "My company went under six months ago." He looked over at Ezra. This time, his eyes showed fear when he looked at him. Ezra was satisfied that he was scared of him.

"Six months ago?" Aubrey repeated. There was silence for a moment before she started to slowly shake his head. "Did you go to Jearon for money?"

"He has a lot of it," Mr. Hallquist shrugged.

He just fucking shrugged. Ezra's hands clenched together, and he fought the urge to reach out and pull Aubrey towards him. He moved his hand, so it was closer to his gun. He was starting to have the feeling that there were more eyes on them than were in the room. He looked up at Asher and Rylan and they too were looking around. Glad I'm not the only one.

Ezra did step closer to Aubrey but made sure not to touch her. This was her situation. She needed to be the one to talk to her father about this. If he took the reins, it might not go the way that she's wanting it to go.

Aubrey rubbed her temples. "Dad, what does Jearon have that you need. We would have been fine! I could have gotten a job! We would have been fine."

Mr. Hallquist shook his head. "When your mother died, I had promised her that you would always be taken care of. Your mother worked every day, Aubrey and she was so tired. I never wanted you to work." He took a deep breath. "When my company collapsed, I went to Jearon for help." He shrugged. "Probably not the right thing to do."

"Probably?" Ezra barked out. He couldn't help himself from speaking.

Aubrey looked back at him quickly before turning her attention back to her father. "No, Dad, that wasn't the right thing to do." She paused as she crossed her arms over her chest. "What did you ask him?"

"I asked to be a business partner in his operation," Mr. Hallquist answered her.

Ezra couldn't help himself anymore. His anger was rising. He stepped close behind her. "Do you understand what he sells? All of his guns are illegal."

Mr. Hallquist nodded. There was no surprise on his face. "I understand that, Ezra. I knew what I was getting into and I'm not backing down. Again, I need the money." He looked at Aubrey. "We need the money."

"His deals always come with a payment," Ezra continued. He bore holes into Mr. Hallquist. "What was your payment?" he asked through clenched teeth.

Mr. Hallquist was silent again. He kept his eyes on Ezra. "He was very unorthodox."

"No shit." Ezra snapped. "What was your payment?" He felt Aubrey back up into his chest. He took his eyes off of Mr. Hallquist long enough to look at her. She was staring at her father with tears in her eyes. She wasn't letting them fall. She knew what was coming. She knew what was going to come out of his mouth and she didn't want to hear it. He wanted all of this to be wrong. He wanted that for her.

Mr. Hallquist snuck a glance over at Aubrey before tears started to form in his eyes. "I'm sorry," he choked out.

"Dad," Aubrey's voice cracked. "What was your payment to be a business partner with him?"

"You, Aubrey."