Chapter Five

"What are you talking about?" Aubrey asked, confused, as she watched Ezra hustling around the cabin, gathering things in his duffle bag. She wrapped her arms around her body. 

Ezra stopped and turned to Aubrey. He could see that she was shivering. His chest hurt when he figured that she was shivering out of fear. "I just got a message from Jearon telling me he'll be here in the morning to pick you up." He turned back around and continued to busy himself by stuffing the bag with clothes. He grabbed another bag from a closet and started shoving her clothes from the box into the bag. 

"I thought that you convinced him to let me stay here?" She shivered even more as she wrapped her arms around herself tighter; she was still holding onto the hoodie. 

Ezra sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I did, but he changed his fucking mind. He doesn't care about the cops. He wants you now. Also, if he has physical proof that you are with him, he could raise the price of your ransom. He could play with your father better if you're with him." He took a breath. "Besides, the police can't do anything to him. He's got them wrapped around his finger."

Aubrey shuttered. "You promised no harm would come to me," her voice was small and low. Almost so intense that he had nearly missed what she had said. Almost. His heart hurt that she knew the danger of her being around Jearon. 

"I know what I promised," Ezra said through clenched teeth. Her eyes widened at his tone. He took a deep breath and controlled his temper. "I'm keeping my promise. I'm taking you to a remote cabin my family used to own. Jearon doesn't know I still have that cabin so he won't look for us there." He thought that if he did find us, it'd take him a long time. Enough time to figure out how to handle this situation better. He turned towards her and gave her a pleading look. "Now, please get ready. Take anything from the pantry and fridge you want and put them in bags for the cabin." Aubrey nodded her head quickly and did what he told her to do.

When her footsteps got quieter, he let out a shaky breath. He was going against everything that was expected from him. He was going against his most extended friendship, his gang – who had been his family for the past decade – and all the morals they had taught him. Good and bad. He was going to be ruining his career in the gang for eternity, all for some girl. In his mind, he didn't want to defy everything he had been taught, but his gut told him to protect her more than himself. He trusted his heart more than his mind. That's what his father had always taught him. 

To Ezra, it seemed like the day had gotten longer as he waited for the sun to fall. He stood by the window watching the sun with his arms crossed. They had finished packing faster than he had thought. He willed it to fall more quickly, but the sun wasn't obeying him. 

"You shouldn't be staring at the sun like that," Aubrey said behind him. He turned around to see her sitting comfortably on the couch, watching the TV. She had the same black hoodie from the box on, skinny jeans, and black tennis shoes. Her red hair was pulled up tight in a ponytail. She was looking straight at him. "It's bad for your eyes."

He slumped over to the couch and started to sit down beside her but stopped. He looked over at her and raised his eyebrow, silently asking permission to sit down. She nodded, and he sat down next to her but left enough space between them where she would be comfortable. He wasn't truly paying attention to what was on the TV; his mind was elsewhere. He knew that Jearon was getting more insane, but he never thought he would try to harm an innocent woman. She was just a pawn in his game, and Ezra wanted to ensure that she wouldn't get hurt. That meant keeping her away from Jearon.

Maybe it was for more selfish reasons than he wanted to admit. Either way, she was safer with him than she was with Jearon. 

"I'm sorry," he finally spoke up. "I'm a little impatient."