Chapter Forty-Eight🌶🌶

Several months later...

Ezra walked down the clean, white hallway. On one hand, he had a small cup of ice chips and on the other hand, he had a chocolate muffin. He couldn't stop the smile that was on his face as he approached the two men he had posted outside of the door.

"Boss," they said in unison as they nodded at him.

"Carl. Denton." Ezra smiled at them and gave a sharp nod. "How is she doing?"

Denton smiled and looked at the door. "Nurse just came in a while ago, but she's doing great."

Ezra nodded and moved the muffin over to his other hand to turn the handle. He opened the door and closed it behind him before turning around. His heart could have exploded at the sight in front of him. Aubrey was sitting up in the small hospital bed holding their baby boy, wrapped in a blue blanket.

Aubrey looked up at him and smiled. She was glowing. "The nurse just brought him." She looked back down at their boy. "Ezra, he's beautiful."

Ezra walked over to her side and sat down on the edge of the bed beside her. He looked over and smiled at his son. He was beautiful. It had been a long and hard delivery. His son had been stubborn to come out, but Aubrey managed to get him out. He didn't know how she had the willpower to go through that amount of pain, but she pushed through it. 

He leaned over and kissed her temple. "I brought you your ice chips and muffin." He placed the ice chips on the bedside table and started to unwrap the muffin.

"Chocolate muffin?" Aubrey asked him without taking her eyes off of their son.

Ezra chuckled. "Yes, princess." He broke off a small piece and held it in front of her mouth. She still wouldn't take her eyes of her boy as she leaned forward slightly to take the bite out of his hand.

Aubrey leaned into him as Ezra wrapped his arm around her waist. "We still need to give him a name, Ezra." She looked up at him and smiled. "Did you have any names in mind?"

"I do have one more that you haven't turned down," he told her as he looked at their boy. His was sleeping peacefully all wrapped up in his blue blanket from the hospital. Underneath those closed eyelids, his eyes were a bright blue – just like his mother. Ezra had thought that babies had some hair on their heads, but their baby didn't have any.

Aubrey laughed. She had been denying every single name that he had given her for the past three months. "What is it?" she asked him.

Ezra took off another small piece of muffin and held it out for Aubrey. "I was thinking about Declan." He paused for a moment. "What do you think?"

Aubrey was in the middle of chewing the bite of muffin and looked up at him. Tears were starting to form in her eyes as she looked back down at their son. "Ezra," she smiled and brought a finger up to run it down the child's cheek. "That's perfect. Declan Pecora. I love it."

A knock sounded on the door making Ezra tense. He stood up quickly and placed the muffin on the table beside the ice chips. He put his hands behind his back, palming the gun hidden in his pant waist.

"Ezra," Aubrey huffed at him. "It's just the nurse, calm down." She plastered a smile on her face. "Come in!"

The nurse opened the door and popped her head in through the crack. "Hello," she stepped into the room and closed the door behind her. "I'm just here to continue to fill out your paperwork." She looked over at Ezra and held up the clipboard with Aubrey's paperwork on it.

"Ezra," Aubrey called out to him. He could hear just a slight annoyance in her voice. He didn't blame her. He was being too overprotective, and he knew it. Now that they had a child, he was more protective of his family than he was before.