34 | mother knows best

CHRISTMAS DAY came round the corner very quickly and Christmas dinner seemed to come round even quicker

CHRISTMAS DAY came round the corner very quickly and Christmas dinner seemed to come round even quicker. Taking her chance for a rest, Harry's mum left Rosie, Mollie, Georgia and Josh chopping up some vegetables and strolled out of the kitchen, setting herself down on the sofa opposite where Harry was sat watching the football.

Smiling at him, she waited to get his attention before starting to speak. After living with teenagers for so long, she speedily learnt that this was the most effective way of getting their attention, "Josh and Mollie are watching this in the kitchen if you wanted to come and join us, lazy arse." She said with a small laugh, nodding through the door into the kitchen.

"You don't want my help, I don't think you've watched me in cooking videos. I've almost killed Calfreezy at least a dozen times." Harry joked, "I'm more than happy to help eat it all."

"You better, we've worked hard on this." She chuckled, glancing over her shoulder into the kitchen. Once she looked back round, she noticed that Harry's gaze had followed hers into the kitchen and fixated on where Mollie was chopping up some carrots and laughing with Josh. A knowing smile came to her lips and she spoke in a soft tone, "she's great, isn't she?"

"Lovely." Harry hummed in reply, "she's good to me, don't think she realises how much I appreciate her."

His mum shrugged, "then tell her."

Letting out a sigh, Harry scrunched up his nose and scratched the back of his neck, "I don't think it's that simple, mum."

She gave him a smile as the conversation slowly died down into silence. As Mollie walked out of sight of the doorway, Harry's gaze moved back to the football. Of course, the phrase mother knows best came to mind as she observed the way Harry would look at her. There was a sparkle in his eyes that she hadn't seen many times before. It was filled with longing, but the doubt in his mind was clear. Everybody know that Harry was an awkward person at the best of times, so it didn't come as a surprise that he was so terrified of messing things up with Mollie. He cared about her, and was scared of losing her romantically, but even more scared of losing her as a friend. So whilst someone like JJ, Ethan or Cal would find it pretty straight forward to just tell a girl their feelings and move on from the result, Harry dwelled on things like this.

Like in most situations, he was more than happy to just sit back and observe with a drink in hand whilst others did the loud talking. However, that wasn't going to help him now. He knew he had to channel his inner Cal and ask her out for real, but he was still waiting for the confidence. Honestly, Harry felt he'd used up his yearly amount of confidence with their first kiss.

"I really like her mum." He said, quietly, "I just don't really know what to do."

"I know, love." She whispered back, giving him a soft smile then a little laugh, "I don't think you're as good at hiding it as you think. Either of you."