The Call

Chapter 15

El saw that dead woman he headed for the stairs quietly slipping away when he got to the kitchen he ran to his car staring the engine. Backing out he almost ran Nina down.

Banging on his car refusing to move El you have to help us you're the only one with a working car.

Nina consider this my resignation you need to call the police Nina I don't want to get involved. El we can't call the police this is a brothel we're running do you know the scandal that will occur? All our names will be made public it will be a shit show.

El saw the desperate trapped  look in her eye's I can't help you thinking about the lonley look in the eye's of his baby sister Amanda I'm sorry.

El backed out speeding off into the night with a mirror image of Nina pouting in his rear view mirror.

El arrived home upset he was unemployed DAMN! He pushed book's off the table angry she tried to involve him on a murder cover up.

He looked at his hand's they were shaking if this was being grown he didn't like it. El went to the kitchen pulling a vodka bottle pouring himself a shot a lick of salt and a slice of lime.

He wasn't a drinker but he understood the terminology of I need a drink.

Kalel's cell rang it was Nina he ignored her call he meant what he said about the resignation.

El fell into a deep sleep he dreamed he was speaking to his father who apologized for dying.

El told his dad what he did for money in an attempt to get his sister back.

El? His father was disappointed in him I'm sorry abba i applied for maintenance and it turned into something else. You're out now Allah sits high and looks low he protected you when you left that place never to return.

El jumped out his sleep the alarm on his phone escorting him from the spiritual world into his own dimension.

He rubbed his face a hot shower is what you need. He prayed and text his sister to do the same after a good morning I love you reminder.

After his shower he grabbed a cup of coffee from the corner store texting kissy rushing uptown to meet with his chess coach.

Hey bae in class call me when you leave practice she closed her text with an emoji kiss a clear indication her mother hadn't ratted him out.

It was a long ride from Brooklyn to Washington heights. The drive was longer more tedious with no parking.

El walked into the exclusive chess club where 90% were some breed of caucasian. The club had been standing since blacks weren't allowed to join. El found this ironic since it was blacks who built the place to begin with.

He did research a black architect designed it and black worker's lay the foundation and building brick by colorful brick as did slave's in most of new york city. In fact when you see a date block in a building such as court buildings that were raised before 1863 which was the emancipation, chances are our ancestors built it.

He told that to a racist member one day if my ancestors designed and built this place I'm sure they had me in mind once complete. That shut down the racist slurs at least to his face.

When El walked in the butler of the club bought him his gold jacket with his name and club badge on the pocket. Gold is the highest ranking color that can be bestowed upon you in that club.

White members who'd been there for a decade and better were sick when they had to get a jacket made for the twelve year old that earned his jacket in nintey day's flat. El played every club member all the way up to the clubs top chess master and won.

There were four member's possessing a jacket his mentor was one and the first black man to get a jacket in the clubs history with El being the second and youngest of the club's history.

El walked to the chess master's practice room which looked like an expensive hotel suite and since there were only four of them allowed to use it the room was alway's pristine.

Member's with no jacket would stare in the large open glass windows wishing they could get inside.

The special key card made it more desirable they kept the room nice always adding perks to keep membership high application request's flowing with envy to match.

Ivanov swiped his card to get in the designer glass etched double door's.

Why are you sitting here drinking orange juice when you should be playing yourself El.

Heavy mind Ivanov. Clear it computer run Ivanov turned on his laptop he has 10 games running for El to play at the same time under a ten minute timer.

Done. Ivanov looked at the boards comparing them to the same games past.

He clicked his tongue tsk tsk. El smiled saying nothing. Ten games you finished two of them one minute later then last time making your time 1 minute longer for all ten board's.

Again! El did another set of games the computer held every game he played since he was twelve year's old today he played all the top matches against other player's he lost and won.

Better. He kept going I want you don't in six minutes not eight I told you six kalel I want six.

El took a deep breath in exhaling aggravated. Watch your frustration when you get frustrated you fuck up.

Language haha. El got it down to five HA! a curl found it's way to Ivaov's lips good now do it again.

They played the entire afternoon a few times El his four and a half. Nina called all day 32 times. When Ivanov gave him a break he called her back.

You need to stop calling me Nina. El I was wrong to try and involve you please come back. I'm sorry Nina no.

El I spoke with Lisa today I understand your dating her daughter?

I'd hate to send call and tell her about you.

You have an appointment Friday at 10 p.m if i see you i know you love kissy and if you don't

I make sure you do by sharing your truth with her after all lying to the love of your life tsk tsk most relationships don't recover from that type of fracture.

In any event I will know Friday goodnight El.