Vol. 4.5: Chapter 13.2 - Something to Prove

"Woah!"

"Kyah~!"

We heard some noises from the other end of the facility. Was something happening by the third pool?

"They're gettin' fired up with somethin'?"

"Seems like something's happening in that other pool."

"That's the sports pool, right? Maybe there's a game being played by someone popular?"

"The sport that's bein' played the most should be volleyball. And based on the interval of their cheerin' times, it should be the case."

"You sure, Kencchin?"

"I'm 90% sure."

"Ken-kun's really smart when it comes to sports."

"Hah-? So yer sayin' I'm dumb when it comes to things that aren't sports?!" Ken was in dismay after hearing Airi's words. 

How did you even reach that interpretation before taking it as a compliment first...?

"Isn't that obvious? You're dumber than the dumb ones in our class!" Haruka crossed her arms while raising an eyebrow. Her breast rested beautifully on her forearms. "Hmm... But these days, you are getting quite smarter-- I should at least admit that."

"Then yer just talkin' about academics! I can be smart about tons of other stuff too, ya know?!"

"Hey man, you're getting too fired up. Don't just let Haruka lead you around the nose with her teasing."

"Ah-! Damn it..."

I stared at my friends' typical banters before Ichinose spoke up beside me.

"I remember lots of 2nd-year students around that place."

"2nd-years, huh?"

"Are you curious, Ayanokouji-kun?" she asked with a probing smile.

"I'd be lying if I say I'm not."

"Let's check it out, then!" Ichinose stood up and faced our considerably large group. "Guys, let's go see what's so fun over there!"

Ichinose's charisma somehow just gets a certain agreeable response from anyone she gets along with. We would either be enthusiastic about her whims or just go with the flow. No one antagonizes her even if she didn't impose authority like Karuizawa or intimidation like Ryuuen. She was someone that you just want to follow.

"Kyah~!"

"Woohoo!"

"Amazing~!"

The uproar grew increasingly louder. It seems like the game was getting intense.

*Splash*

The ball was spiked towards the other side of the court, and the screams of the girls surrounding the pool followed right after. The game was intense, but it was not like a team battle of six-versus-six was happening. One male student heavily stood out. 

"That's guy's awesome..." muttered Ken.

If he, of all people, says that, then it must be true.

The guy's blonde hair swayed with each of his movements. Some of the players looked tired while some looked fired up. Contrasting them was his composed expression which made him very eye-catching.

The next round started and he easily caught the serve. The setter didn't even need to move as the ball perfectly bounced on top of him. With an optimal set from an optimal receive, the blonde-haired male student jumped off at the perfect time and spiked a bullet into the enemy court. It wasn't like he was the only good player, though. A student from the opposing team was able to react to his attack but unfortunately failed to bring the ball up.