Vol. 7: Chapter 6.1 - Trying to Live

The next day, Chabashira-sensei called for me to iron out the details.

"I guess everything went according to your plan yesterday, huh?" she commented.

"It's not like I had any plans in the first place. I didn't expect that man to come here this time."

"But you probably expected him to come someday."

"That's true. He's annoyingly persistent for an adult."

"And about Kushida..."

Under the guise of an academic meeting, Chabashira-sensei and I quietly chatted about everything that transpired.

"She should be fine. Let's just hope that her face doesn't stick in that man's memory or she might become a target."

"Is that so...?"

Around 24 hours earlier...

We tread through the hallways of offices, and after a few minutes, the two of us stopped in front of a door.

"Chabashira-sensei, before we go in, I'd appreciate it if you could do something for me."

"What is it?"

Horikita called for everyone's attention right after Chabashira-sensei and I left the classroom. I knew that because her voice could still be heard a few meters from the door. In that case...

"You'd probably be on standby outside the room, right?" I asked.

"Yes, that's correct."

"The class is probably having a meeting right now. If I don't return after they finish, there's a good chance that Kikyou will come and find me," I said. "Do the other teachers know about his visit?"

"Mashima-sensei knows, and there's a chance that he might tell Chie if she pesters him enough."

"I see. Since Kikyou will head to the teachers' faculty first, she'll eventually make her way here."

I doubt they'd tell her about that man's visit, but asking for Chabashira-sensei's location is a different matter. 

Hearing that, her expression changed. She finally understood that I had something in mind.

"What do you want me to do with her?"

"If she comes, tell her that I'm talking to my father."

"That's a surprise. I thought you wanted me to hide the truth from her. Is it really okay?"

"I've opened up to her a little bit back then. She already has an idea about what kind of person my so-called "father" is."

"I see," she sighed. "And then?"

"I'm sure that that man wants me to leave this school," I shrugged. "When Kikyou gets here, you don't have to tell her that my father is explicitly asking me to drop out. You can just hint at my potential departure."

I'm a hundred percent sure that Kikyou remembers our conversation that night, so she'd probably get what's going on even if Chabashira-sensei doesn't spell it out. Leaving things up to her imagination is a lot more effective.

"One last thing. The chairman had promised to help me out, so he might be able to drive my father away. Once he gets out of this room, do not talk to him, and that's especially true for Kikyou."

"Why...?" Chabashira-sensei grew nervous.

"Given Kikyou's personality, she might be polite enough to introduce herself to him. That man can't have her name no matter what. I don't really have the time to explain everything, but if that happens, the safety of Kikyou and her family might be put in jeopardy."