Vol. 7: Chapter 5.4 - Segue

"Kushida, mind your manners." Chabashira-sensei stoically scolded her.

Kikyou blushingly stopped in her tracks. 

"R-Right, I'm sorry!" She hastily turned to the chairman and bowed her head. "Good afternoon, Mr. Chairman. I'm sorry for my behavior."

"It's alright, Kushida-kun. I'm sure you were worried about Kiyotaka-kun over here." He stood up and offered his seat beside me. "If possible, I would like to have a word with you too."

Kikyou was reluctant to accept the seat, but she was left with no choice after Chairman Sakayanagi sat on the other sofa.

Chabashira-sensei looked confused about this development. She never expected the chairman to have Kikyou join the conversation. Of course, if it was the chairman's desire to talk to us, then she couldn't really do anything about it.

"Chabashira-sensei, would be it alright if you could pour some tea for all of us?" he asked.

"Of course, Chairman."

"You can take your seat if you want to accompany your students. It won't take long."

"I understand." Chabashira-sensei quietly sat down on the vacant sofa after serving the tea. 

"I coincidentally saw you and Chabashira-sensei in the hallway on my way here. Did you know about Kiyotaka-kun's situation?"

Kikyou had turned her angel mode on. I can see it from her cunningly crafted smile.

"Um, I didn't. But Chabashira-sensei told me that it was about Kiyotaka-kun's father."

It doesn't sound like Kikyou knows about the chairman's name. If it's her, then she might be able to get some information on Sakayanagi without being suspicious.

"You're right. Did you see him leave?"

"Yes, we did. He passed by us not too long ago when he left the room," she answered. "But that's strange. I thought there was a rule that students of this school cannot come into contact with relatives from the outside and vice versa."

I've already told Kikyou a little about that man a long time ago, but I guess she wants to prod into the chairman's knowledge about him as well.

Chairman Sakayanagi responded with an understanding nod.

"Well, you see, Kiyotaka-kun's father is a very powerful man. That much should explain how he was able to bypass that rule. And on top of that, he was actually asking for Kiyotaka-kun to drop out of school."

Hearing that, Kikyou's composure crumbled in an instant. She tried her best to keep up appearances.

"H-How did it go...?"

"It'll be fine, Kikyou. I'm not going anywhere." I figured that hearing it from me would be best, so I took the liberty of answering.

"Really...? Your dad had a really scary look when I saw him, so he might come back. Is there anything I can do to help?"

I gently placed my hand on top of her head.

"There's nothing to worry about. No matter how powerful he is, he can't just do whatever he wants in this school. I'm not dropping out."

"Okay... I trust you," she nodded.

"Well, there you have it. The school will do its best to protect Kiyotaka-kun."

"Thank you very much, Chairman Sakayanagi."

Kikyou subtly glanced in my direction after I said the chairman's name. Her bright fabricated smile returned. She understood that I deliberately fed that information to her. Unfortunately, the chairman moved the conversation further before she could say anything.