Vol. 7: Chapter 4.1 - Untapped Potential

The next day, the class atmosphere remained relatively stable despite the previous altercation. As usual, I didn't do anything but stay silent despite being one of the main subjects.

I observed how the different groups within the class interacted and noticed a rift between the guys. Kikuchi and Ike, with his group, ignored each other which was natural given how estranged they've become. This had a large effect on how the other guys acted around them. Onizuka, Makida, and Minami (Hakuo), who were in Kikuchi's group didn't seem to ignore Ike and the other two. Obviously, Kikuchi wouldn't tell them to do something like that, but they didn't feel as comfortable around the other group either. 

And for the girls... Well, they didn't really have to navigate around the situation, so they acted normally for the most part.

"It's nothing new." Sugawara patted my shoulder. "Fights between cliques happen all the time, remember? The only difference is how high-profile this is."

"I guess you're right," I solemnly agreed.

We took our PE class at some point. Higashiyama-sensei, knowing my running capabilities, made an offer.

"I already know how fast you can run, Ayanokouji. I can exempt your attendance for today's class," he smiled.

"Ohh, thanks, Sensei."

"By the way, if you're interested, Kimura-sensei's offer is still up for grabs."

Ah, of course...

"Sorry, but I'd have to decline. I have no interest in track and field..."

"Sigh... I see. It's a shame, but I'll tell him that your answer hasn't changed."

I've been getting offers from different clubs after the sports festival. A lot of the teachers were even saying that I got scouted by professional trainers who happened to attend.

"Please do," I bowed slightly.

Well, if I can go back to the classroom to get some sleep, then I'd gladly do so.

"Sensei... Can I also--"

"Shut it, Ueno! You can barely finish a lap with your lazy ass! Now go out there and run before I give you a failing mark!"

Ueno groaned in agony before jogging back with everyone. He was a fairly competent student when it came to academics, but like Yukimura, physical activities were the bane of his existence.

Running out on the racing track in the middle of December was brutal, so we used the Gymnasium. That said, the temperature was still significantly lower than what we were used to. The cool morning breeze made us feel a little bit lethargic. 

Feeling relaxed, I took my time walking and enjoyed the scenery around the main building.

It certainly gave me a moment to ponder about myself.

I wonder how much time had passed since I stepped down as the class's leader... To be completely honest, it didn't feel long at all. It would often come up in conversations among my classmates that no one has had the chance to even forget about it. 

It was pretty inconvenient given my objective of making Horikita the official leader.

"A leader, huh...?" 

My initial purpose for coming to this school was to run away and live like a normal high school student. However, after anticipating the kind of learning environment it has, I figured that testing myself might be worthwhile.

I was mistaken.

Even with the innate disadvantage of being placed in Class D, I easily managed to reach the top.