Vol. 5: Chapter 1.1 - The School Sports Festival

"Alright! See ya later, Ayanokouji!"

"Yeah."

I returned to the classroom after hanging out with some guys from my class. The second semester has finally started, and I certainly feel the life of a normal high school student. With a healthy reputation inside my class, my social status is very stable, and I'm surrounded by people who think fondly of me.

Really, what a great time to be alive.

"Starting today, classes begin again. However, from September to the beginning of October, we will be holding more physical education classes to prepare for the school sports festival. Students seated at the front, please pass handouts to those behind you, and so on."

Well... that didn't last long. 

Our afternoon class was turned into a two-hour homeroom period. Chabashira-sensei started to instruct us with her usual tone. Most of us were pretty excited. It was one of the long-awaited events for any high school student along with the cultural festival. Well, this school, unfortunately, doesn't have a cultural festival, so we're happy with whatever we get.

"The details on the printed handouts can also be found on the school homepage. Please refer to them if necessary." Chabashira-sensei continued looking forward in silence, waiting for questions to come.

"Sensei, is the sports festival another one of the special exams?" Hirata asked, raising his hand.

"You're free to interpret this however you wish. In any case, this event will massively impact each and every class."

"We'll probably get points and stuff, right? Then it is another special exam," said Ike, inserting himself into the conversation.

"Let's say that you'll indeed get points. The same thing happens with your midterms and final exams, but they're not special exams, correct? And what if you lose points? The same thing happens whenever you're caught misbehaving during and even outside classes. From your words, your everyday school life would also count as a special exam. Is that what you're trying to say, Ike?"

Well, yeah. In fact, being enrolled in this school probably counts as a special exam already.

"U-Uh... I guess not...?" Unfortunately, he couldn't find the right words after Chabashira-sensei dismantled his statement with an argument exploiting semantics.

Most of our classmates didn't even pay attention to Ike, though. The frail students were worried and the ones who hated exercise were grumbling. Of course, athletic ones like Ken and Onodera were hyped about this.

"Ayanokouji-kun, look..." While everyone else agonized over the surface-level details, Horikita pointed something out from the handout that she was reading.

I checked what she was referring to when I noticed that Chabashira-sensei was glancing at us.

"For this year's sports festival, we're going to divide all students across all grade levels into two groups and have them compete with each other." She relayed some more information about the event as I read through the handout. "You, Class A will be teaming up with Class D as part of the Red Team. Class B and C will team up in the same fashion as part of the White Team. They will compete alongside you."