Vol. 5: Chapter 12.2 - Avowal

As we got out of the track, the boys took their seats and focused without making any noise. Their eyes were serious. They planned on watching the girls run with an insane amount of concentration.

"The runners are getting more attention than what your exam papers will ever receive," I said.

"Oh shut it, Ayanokouji. Just sit down and watch with us. It'll be great!"

"We couldn't watch properly during practice, but none of the girls are here to police us right now!"

"A rare chance, I tell you! Rare!"

"Yeah, dude. It's about time we witness some amazing physics."

This group was led by Ike and Yamauchi, to no one's surprise. They said something about this being a once-in-a-school-year opportunity. Most of the guys were trying to play it cool, but they were also paying close attention.

Ken cracked his knuckles and warned everyone.

"If I ever see any of you ogling Airi or Haruka, I won't show any mercy. I'll gouge the eyes of any pervert."

Everyone trembled in fear. However, the shameless Yamauchi asked a shameless question.

"As long as it's not Sakura or Hasebe, then it's fine, right?" he asked.

"Whatever, dude." Ken narrowed his eyes and turned to spectate with everyone.

Everyone sighed in relief. 

I mean, they can have whatever motives they want, honestly. At the end of the day, we're just watching the girls run. Of course, I can understand some of the guys' desire to prevent their friends or crushes from getting looked at with malicious eyes.

"Kiyotaka, I'm sure you've noticed it, too..." said Akito.

"Yeah. It seems like our female runners will suffer the same fate."

Just by looking at the line-up, it certainly looks like a repeat of what happened earlier.

"Horikita and Nishimura... You said something about a fixed competition between Horikita and Ibuki from Class D, right? Isn't the 100-meter dash too fast-paced for them to decide a real winner?"

"I don't know anything about the specifics of their competition. I don't even know if they only chose one event."

"I see. If Horikita is the one being challenged, then I'll have to assume that Ibuki can put up a fight." Akito turned her eyes to Ryuuko. "Do you think Nishimura can make the top four? She's one of the more athletic girls in the class but..."

"Yeah... Isoyama Nagisa from Class D and Motodoi Chikako from Class B. Both of them are really athletic, especially Motodoi since she's in the Tennis Club."

Akito must've been paying close attention if he could remember how athletic other students were. We only had a limited number of days when we could freely watch the other classes practice, after all.

"You can do it, Horikita-san!"

"Go, go, Ryuuko!"

"Take this home, you two!"

Cheers could be heard from the boys in the spectators' area and the girls on standby. We may have been stationed in different places, but we supported our classmates with the same amount of enthusiasm.

When the signal sounded, Ibuki instantly took the lead.

"Wha-?! Ibuki-chan is fast!" said Ike.

Horikita's reaction was delayed, so she had the worse start. However, she slowly started to gain on her. Ibuki kept glancing at Horikita who was right behind her, and in a matter of seconds, the two were nipped and tucked. Ibuki became panicked while Horikita looked a bit chuffed about such a development. She managed to grab a tiny lead over Ibuki near the end of the race. Ibuki tried to push harder, but the 100-meter dash was as short as it could've gotten. Before she could turn the tides back in her favor, Horikita already crossed the finish line first.