Vol. 5: Chapter 9.1 - Before the Tempest

Everyone worked their hardest during practice over the course of the next week. Before we knew it, the day to submit our participation table has come and we had one week left to prepare before the sports festival.

"I've tallied the results for every student in my own notes. They were the main basis of how I grouped everyone for the upcoming sports festival. The participation table will be submitted today after class." Hirata was currently behind the podium, announcing Class A's current plan of action.

"Aren't you gonna show us?" asked Ike.

"You don't have to worry, Ike-kun. These are all based on the numbers. There were no biases involved in assigning each of you," explained Horikita.

"No, no. I get that. I just wanted to see the list for myself. I'm sure everyone's thinking of the same thing."

Most of our classmates nodded. They seem to agree with what Ike was saying.

"I'm sorry, but we can't do that for security purposes."

Ike's eyebrows furrowed along some of the girls.

I secretly took a glance at two particular people and checked their reactions.

"Security purposes? It makes sense that you're worried about the participation getting leaked, but isn't that going too far?" wondered Maezono.

"I agree. It's like you don't trust us. And besides, isn't it a pretty shitty move to have us compete blindly? It might put us at a disadvantage." Karuizawa, the representative of Class A's girls, voiced her verdict.

"It's not about trust, Karuizawa-san. The sports festival is a bit unique in terms of participation, so you're not going in completely blind, or at least, that's how it is for most of you who are only competing in the All-Participant events," answered Horikita. 

"What do you mean...?"

"At the end of the day, you'll be participating in all nine events. The only thing that you wouldn't know would be the order in which you'll go. But that doesn't really matter since you don't even know the order in which your opponents will go, anyway. Am I wrong?"

The class started to murmur. Their previous concerns didn't feel like it was that big of a deal, all of a sudden.

"Hmm... I guess that makes sense. The only ones who should feel weirded out about this are the ones competing for the Recommended-Participants events."

"Don't worry Karuizawa-san. We've already consulted those who were picked for at least one event. They've agreed on being in the dark about the specifics."

"Well... If you've thought about it in advance, then I guess it's fine." Karuizawa ended in such a fashion, which was pretty unusual. (1)

After hearing Horikita and Hirata's explanations, most of our classmates were then influenced by Karuizawa's convinced attitude.

"Ehhh, but I kinda wanna see when I'm going in, though. It's not like anyone's gonna betray the class and sell it out," said Yamauchi.

"Stop that, Haruki. Just agree with what Horikita-chan and Hirata are saying. Do you wanna get chewed out again?" Hondou interfered.

"Of course, not! But it's not like I'm saying anything bad, right?"

"We know, but you have to understand where they're coming from. We need to up our chances of winning as much as we can. Even now, the risk of a leak is not zero. And it'll only go higher the more we're in the know," he explained.

"Geez, Yamauchi. Does Hondou need to speak some sense to you every time?" teased Kikuchi.

"Hondou-kun is right," smirked Rino. "You might want to refrain from running your mouth, lest Karuizawa-san gets pissed at you again."

Yamauchi reflexively glanced at Karuizawa who was already staring at him with her eyes narrowed. He instantly looked away from her in a panic.

"S-Shut up! I got it, okay? I won't complain anymore!" The nervous Yamauchi immediately backpedaled. 

Hondou's calm interruption along with Kikuchi and Rino's light-hearted teasing made the class laugh. It was entirely different from before when Karuizawa mercilessly tore Yamauchi and Ike down (mostly Yamauchi) and made the class a bit nervous.

Hirata smiled after seeing the usual liveliness of the class. Little did he know that a storm was approaching, and it won't wait for him nor Horikita before striking. 

Author's Notes:

This chapter-part is pretty short since it's something of a prologue. Didn't know I needed to point that out since some peeps are still complaining about the length. I thought it was obvious enough considering how I'm labeling chapter-parts accordingly with "n.1", "n.2", etc. but apparently not. Some still think that every upload is a full chapter when that's not often the case.

1. This should be the part where Kei goes "Well, if Hirata-kun says so, then I also agree!" but since she wanted to help increase Horikita's reputation inside the class, she agreed with the two of them, instead.