Vol. 5: Chapter 15.1 - I'm Not Interested

"Goddamn it!"

Ken ground his teeth in frustration.

"Kiyotaka... You're back," said Akito.

"I made a visit to the infirmary. How did everything go while I was gone?" I asked.

"Well, as you can see, it's pretty bad. We won the Tug-of-War, but the Obstacle Course Race and the Three-Legged Race went just as horribly as the first two events..." Akito looked away with a frustrated expression. "And the Cavalry Battle... "

"Hey now, Class A. You better step it up. I don't want to keep carrying your asses all throughout the festival," chided Ryuuen.

"Shut the hell up! You abandoned us in the Cavalry Battle!" yelled Ken.

"Abandoned? Are you that pathetic, Sudou? We may be from the same team, but we did our best and won. It's your fault for getting annihilated first. Instead of yapping your excuses like a dog, you should probably thank me for salvaging your failures," countered Ryuuen.

A bunch of school staff was staring at us. We shouldn't escalate this any further.

"Ken, it's fine. We can't do anything about it now..."

"Damn it... I'll fuckin' sock that guy..." Ken cursed under his breath.

"Ayanokouji-kun, are you alright?" Hirata approached us with a worried look.

"Yeah. I think I can participate in the 200-meter dash."

"Are you sure?"

"I'll try. The physician said I'm allowed to run, at least."

"I see... Your presence will be a huge help, in more ways than one..."

The others' expressions turned grim as soon as Hirata said those words. Something must've happened while I was gone.

It was almost time for us to get ready. The next event will be the last one before a 50-minute lunch break. I turned my sights toward the girls who were currently engaged in the heated round of their Cavalry Battle.

"Tsk... Those bastards... They're using the same tactic," muttered Ken.

It was a fairly straightforward strategy. The Class D cavaliers try their best to evade while playing defense. After Class A's squadrons get tired and eliminated by the combined forces of Class B and Class C, that's when they'll strike back. I'm not sure if it'll go as smoothly for Class D's girls, though. I noticed that they're actually lacking in numbers.

I see... So that's what happened.

Meanwhile, the girls from our class looked extremely distressed. And Horikita... After getting pincered by Ichinose and Kamuro's group, her bandana was easily stolen as she fell from her horse.

"Hahh... Hahh... Dang... I ran like my life depended on it, and I still got seventh!" cried Ike.

Yamauchi and the others uttered similar things, but it can't be helped.

"Woohoo! Good stuff, Ayanokouji!" Onizuka celebrated.

"Hahh, I can't show off now. I'm too damn slow," laughed Kikuchi.

I'll probably confront him later about what Sakayanagi told me.

Anyway, I managed to get a first during the 200-meter dash. The fast runners got great results, but both the average and slow runners got left severely behind. The same went for the girls. However, Horikita, who was supposed to be a prime candidate for first place, only got sixth. And just like that first half of the sports festival came to an end.