Vol. 5: Chapter 7.1 - The Right Blend

It was a Friday in mid-September. Our practice was going swimmingly, is what I wish I could say, but nothing is perfect in this world.

"Hmm... I really am perfect."

Kouenji would probably disagree with me then. Good for him, I guess. I walked past the relaxing Kouenji and arrived near the track.

"Hey, Hondou-kun! Stop using your phone and start practicing! You too, Miyamoto-kun!" scolded Onodera.

"A-Ah, sorry! I just had to respond to someone. I'll be right there!" he replied.

"Ehh, I'm pretty tired already..." said Miyamoto as he faced Hondou. "Hey, Ryoutarou, you've been on your phone since we started practicing. I thought you were gonna show off your hidden potential?"

"Pfft, did you seriously believe that? I know my place in this world, Soshi. I've got no hidden talents whatsoever. I was just going with the flow when Haruki and Kanji were yapping about their goals to get girls," he shrugged.

"Haha, I guess that makes sense. But who are you chatting with? I thought you were going for Kikyou-chan?"

Hey, hey... I don't think you should talk about that when there are a bunch of girls near you. Even I can understand your conversation clearly from a distance.

"I-Idiot, don't talk about that here! I'm also practicing seriously, y'know? It's just that..." He started whispering to Miyamoto.

"Ehhh?! You're asking a girl from another class for help?!"

"So much for my whispering, you moron!"

Miyamoto sprinted out of Hondou's attempt to smack him and they started chasing each other around. I wonder if this could be considered practice? It wasn't long until they reunited with Ike and Yamauchi on the field. A lot of our classmates were having the same routine of chit-chatting in between their practice sets.

"They're finally here," I muttered after seeing two figures approach my spot.

Two girls finished running as they sat down on the grass, huffing and puffing from exhaustion. I crouched to their level so I can hold a conversation.

"Please... *pant* run faster. You're holding me back."

"I don't think that's possible, Horikita-san... *pant* I'm already trying my best. Onodera-san is a faster runner than me, but even she can't keep up with you," replied Kikyou.

"Are you guys having trouble?" I asked.

"Ayanokouji-kun? I didn't notice you there," said Horikita.

Well, sorry for my thin presence.

"Kiyotaka-kun..." Kikyou smiled despite having a bad time. "It seems like we can't find a partner for Horikita-san in the three-legged race."

"Looks like it."

"None of them can keep up with me. This is really troubling..."

Horikita uttered those words without a hint of arrogance or disappointment. She looks genuinely concerned.

"How many partners have you been with? I saw you running with Onodera and Shinohara the other day."

"Oh, I've only partnered up with the two of them. And today, I'm trying things out with Kushida-san."

"I see... What happened with the other two?"

"Shinohara-san immediately wanted to pair up with someone else after one run. Onodera-san managed to barely keep up, but she gave up in the end. I tried to encourage them to train harder with me, but it didn't work..."