Vol. 5: Chapter 9.2 - Folly

September 27th, 3:31 PM.

"Sudou-kun, can I talk to you for a second? You don't have club today, right?" Horikita walked up to Ken, who was preparing to leave the classroom.

"It's 'bout the sports festival, I'm bettin'?" he replied.

"Yes. I would prefer if we talk about it somewhere secluded."

Many of our classmates were paying attention to their conversation, so it was a pretty bold thing to say so candidly. But then again, if it's about the sports festival, all of us have already agreed with Horikita's stealth strategy.

"Aight, sure. But I want Kiyotaka to come with us."

Ken looked at me with a serious expression. Some of our classmates turned to me, as well.

"Ayanokouji-kun? Why is that?" asked Horikita.

"I ain't so sure myself, but that's my condition." Ken crossed his arms as if he was prepared to wait for Horikita's answer but to his surprise, Horikita didn't waver an inch.

"You're in luck, then. Ayanokouji could already be considered as someone who's "partially involved" in this particular matter, so it's fine." Horikita turned around and walked out. "Let's go. I'm leaving the submission to you, Hirata-kun."

"Don't worry Horikita-san. I'll be sure to submit our participation table after we close up the classroom," he said.

"You really don't have to, Hirata-kun. It's not like you're on duty today..." said Azuma. She was one of the students who are assigned for today.

"It's fine, Azuma-san. Everyone has been working hard for the past few weeks. I could at least help you guys finish faster. You'll be able to have more rest that way."

"Sheesh, Hirata. We're always grateful for your kindness, but don't pass out on us before the sports festival because of a fever, okay? Most of us are wimpy and lanky, so losing you would be- Ack-?!" Onizuka's words were promptly stopped by a head smack from Makida. "Ow! That hurt, Sumu!"

"Shut up, you idiot," he said before looking at Hirata. "Don't mind him, Hirata. It's just his stupid way of telling you to not force yourself. All of us feel the same way."

"Yes, you don't have to worry. I know Onizuka-kun didn't mean anything bad."

Hirata has been proactive in helping the class in every possible way this month. Whenever he's not attending to his club or going on an after-school date with Karuizawa, he always spares some time to help out after class. That and his consistent leadership alongside Horikita when preparing for the sports festival... No wonder everyone was working hard. It's difficult to not get infected by Hirata's fervor.

September 27th, 3:34 PM.

The three of us arrived on the third floor to an empty hallway that connects a lot of vacant rooms (used for some club activities) to the main classrooms.

"Before anything else, I want to ask something just to make things clear. What's with Sudou-kun demanding your presence here? Is this a part of some sort of plan?" asked Horikita.

She wasn't angry or anything. She was just curious.

"No, not this time. Even I was surprised about this," I replied.

"Don't worry, Horikita. I don't know if Kiyotaka has somethin' planned or anythin' like that, but this certainly ain't part of it," he said.

"Then why? You said you weren't sure, but there's no way that's really the case, right?" she pried.