Vol. 6: Chapter 4.3 - Think Again

More than half of the class left the room for our lunch break as soon as the bell rang and even more students would be on their way after a little while. Ike's group walked to the back corner of the classroom, right where I was seated. With the way they gathered to approach me, the remaining students curiously turned to us.

"Are you guys sure that you wanna talk about it here?" I asked.

"Heh, why? Are you scared that someone might hear us?" Yamauchi affronted.

"You got it backward, Yamauchi. I'm asking this for your guys' sake."

"What?"

My response displeased them, but I didn't really care. Meanwhile, Ijuuin and Professor just looked uncomfortable more than anything.

"Do you know why I sent that message to you last night, Ayanokouji?"

Ike had briefly mentioned that they wanted to discuss what really happened during that frame-up incident with Class D, but that's about it. Well, I don't have the need to play dumb with these guys if they really wanna get into it.

Kikyou wasn't around, which was to be expected since she always goes out with her friends during lunch. Horikita, however, was still seated beside me. She looked confused about the sudden development.

"Based on the way you're acting, Ryuuen or someone from his side probably told you some stuff."

"Wha-? How the heck did you know?"

They all seem surprised, but there wasn't really any other answer. 

"I mean, who else would it be?"

"Hehhh, so you won't try to act ignorant, huh? What do you have to say about it, then?" asked Hondou.

"Hmmm... Well, despite his personality, Ryuuen probably won't lie about it, so whatever they told you-- just treat them as true."

They're probably expecting me to ask what Ryuuen's side told them first to see if I wanted to keep my hands clean.

"Ahh, is that so? So it's true that you just pretended to be our friend during that time? And it's also true that you only see us as pawns to be sacrificed?" Yamauchi asked with a slightly raised voice.

At this point, Horikita finally understood what was happening. But since I was ignoring her, she knew she didn't have to do anything just yet.

"That's oddly specific. What did they even tell you to think that...?"

"Why don't you tell us? Only you know about what really happened," sneered Miyamoto.

"Soshi-dono, Haruki-dono, maybe we could be a little less hostile with our tone..." said Professor.

"And why should we do that? Aren't you pissed, as well?" asked Yamauchi.

"Whether we're pissed or not is irrelevant, Haruki-kun. Kanji-kun said that we'll be discussing things with Ayanokouji-kun. So naturally, I expected a civilized conversation. If you want to start a childish verbal fight, then I won't be participating." Ijuuin made his stance firm which naturally irked Yamauchi and Miyamoto.

"Ah, I get it. So you're siding with Ayanokouji?" Yamauchi prodded at him.

Ijuuin fixed his glasses with a sigh. He seems to be mildly frustrated with how Yamauchi was acting.

"Hideo-kun and I weren't as involved with the incident as much as the four of you. The only side of the argument we know is yours, so we're obviously waiting for Ayanokouji-kun to say his piece. The conversation won't progress properly if we start hurling passive-aggressive jabs at each other, will it?"