CotE: Alter Omake - Solace Edition

I. Teachings of an Expert [1] 

October 6th, Wednesday.

Inside Room 401, Kikyou settled down on my bed while I sat on my office chair.

"Oh, right. You never told me about Ichihashi-san's confession."

"What?"

"Ah, it just came to my mind all of a sudden, so I thought I'd ask."

"Oh, okay. How did you know she confessed?"

"Are you really asking me that?" Kikyou responded with a smug smirk.

Of course. Of course, she knew. This is Kikyou we're talking about.

I sighed and began telling her the story. If she was already aware of it, then I guess going into details wouldn't do any harm. It's better to just satisfy this secret-obsessed girl.

"Hmm... So you didn't look surprised. That's anything not new," she commented.

"Uh-huh..."

"But you really like saying "I don't want to be in a relationship right now.", huh?"

"Is... there a problem with that?" For some reason, I started getting nervous.

"That's a very girly line, you know?"

"Is it?"

"Well, there's nothing wrong with you saying it, I guess... Still, you don't talk a lot, but you also tend to say too much sometimes. You don't have to say anything unless the girl asks for a reason, or if the situation calls for it." 

"I see... I'll keep that in mind."

"And you're not even telling the truth. I know you want a girlfriend~." She crossed her arms with a smile.

"You sound so sure."

"Of course. I'm your best friend, after all." She puffed her bountiful chest outwards. "Hey, where are you looking, you pervert~?"

"I know you did it on purpose, so I thought I'd hurt your feelings if I didn't react."

"You're an idiot." Kikyou barraged me with soft playful blows.

Feeling satisfied, she suddenly started laughing.

"And at the end, you even asked her to eat dinner with you. Kiyotaka-kun, you really are an idiot sometimes."

"I blame my ignorance. I felt really bad about it."

I took Ichihashi's composure for granted. I'll make sure not to do that again.

"Mature girls are good at acting tough, but don't be fooled. They're still hurt inside when they get rejected."

"What should I do in that situation?"

"Just listen to them. After they pour their heart out, make sure to let them know you listened. Honestly tell them that you don't feel the same way-- that all you can give them is friendship." Kikyou advised me with a reminiscent smile.

She must've been confessed to by guys that she didn't think badly of. Her uncharacteristically gentle expression says it all.

"I see... I guess I still lack some tact when it comes to this."

"That's fine. If they're an amazing person, you can even make self-deprecating jokes about not deserving their confession. It can lighten up the mood, but it'll depend on how close you are. And if the girl is a shy one, be sure to compliment their courage first."

"I understand. That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice."

"Hmph, you can count on me anytime."