Vol. 5: Chapter 1.3 - The State of Teams

Over four hundred people with a mix of students and instructors gathered in the gymnasium during our 2nd homeroom period. Horikita scanned the place with a slightly fretful expression.

"Are you looking for him?" I whispered.

She flinched in surprise. I thought she'd scold me again, but Horikita stopped glaring at me as soon as she saw my genuinely curious stare.

"Well... yes," she replied timidly.

"You wouldn't be able to spot him this easily in this crowd."

There wasn't any point in teasing someone who decided to answer honestly, so I tried to keep an eye out for him, too.

"It's okay. I just tried to check if he's somewhere noticeable."

Horikita was someone who appeared tough, but she was actually very delicate. She hates being vulnerable, so no one's really seen that side of her. Well, no one except for me. That little coincidence back then was probably why I could understand her more than most people, and why she opens up to me even with her personality.

After lining up without any particular order or form, our class sat down in an empty area. Nothing was really happening yet. The instructors were just there to keep things peaceful and civil. I glanced in Kikyou's direction and saw her chatting with Hondou and the others. I guess I can just ask for her impressions on this assembly later on.

A short minute passed and a bunch of students came forward. Everyone focused their attention on them, eager to hear some instructions.

"I'm Fujimaki, from Class 3-A. It's been decided that I will assume command of the Red Team."

I glanced at Horikita and she also seemed to be in thought. Considering that her older brother was the student council president, I assumed that he would be taking the lead. That doesn't seem to be the case, though.

The class pairs of A and D started to assemble and sit near Fujimaki's general area.

I can hear a different voice on the opposite side of the gymnasium. It was probably the commander of the White Team, not that I should worry about them right now.

"I'd like to give the 1st-year students one piece of advice. The sports festival is extremely important. Your experiences here will most certainly be applicable to real life. In fact, many of your future exams may look like games at first glance. However, each and every one of them is a crucial battle in which you stake your survival in this school," said Fujimaki.

His words were a bit vague but still helpful.

"You may not feel motivated right now, but we're going to try and win this thing. I want you to try and hold on to that feeling," he continued. "The only competition in which all classes from all grade levels will participate together is the final event-- the 1200-meter Relay Race. Aside from that, all the other events are divided up by grade level. So, please, feel free to gather and discuss your strategies, starting now."

In response to Fujimaki's words, the students from both the 2nd and 3rd years grouped up without much delay. Our class seemed to flounder in comparison. Of course, our "partners" were also in sight. They didn't move an inch.

Hirata assembled our class to look a bit more orderly as Horikita took the initiative to approach Class D.

"Oh? Would you look at that? It's Class 1-A, our dear allies."

"I'll be blunt, Ryuuen-kun. Our class is open for cooperation, but that's only if you fulfill your end of the bargain." Horikita pre-emptively took hold of the conversation.

"Look at you, acting like a big shot all of a sudden. Did your new title as Class A's leader reach your head, Suzune?"

"We don't have time for your nonsense, Ryuuen. All we need is a yes or no."