Vol. 6: Chapter 9.2 - Desperation

The next day, Class A finally took on Horikita's mock test. Chabashira-sensei had given us permission to use the homeroom period for it.

Everyone had serious expressions, and before we knew it, the test was finally over.

"Thank you for answering the mock test," announced Horikita. "We'll have the results ready by Friday, so please reflect on any errors you have after receiving your paper. You'll have the weekend for a last-ditch review."

As expected, everything turned out fine. The questions we made for this mock test were just as hard as the ones we did for Class C. I'm interested to see what the results are after Horikita and Hirata check them.

When the final bell rang, which marked the end of today's classes, a person approached me before I could even stand up.

"Hey, Ayanokouji."

Miyamoto stood in front of me with a... confrontational expression.

"Miyamoto...?"

Only a handful of students turned their heads. Most of our classmates probably saw this talk as a casual classroom conversation. He leaned in close enough so only the two of us could hear each other.

"Are you going to help Horikita-san with our plan against Ryuuen?" he asked.

"Oh, no. I'm out of the picture this time. I don't really have much to offer," I replied.

"You do, though. You're Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. You're the smartest person in this school," he said with narrowed eyes.

"Am I now? Do you seriously believe that, Miyamoto?"

"Maybe I do. Maybe it's just flattery. But regardless of what I think, it's a fact that you can help us. You're the one who carried us to Class A, after all." 

"Even if I did, I already told everyone that I don't wanna get involved as much anymore."

Miyamoto clicked his tongue in frustration. 

"Look, I'm not trying to make you feel obligated to do anything since I also respect your decision. I'm on your side when you say you wanna do anything you want... but I really need your help this time." 

Whether I say yes or not wouldn't really matter. I can already guess what's going to happen regardless of my answer.

"Ayanokouji, are you going to help me or not?"

I looked at the sliding door and made a condition. If Karuizawa's group gets out first, then I'll say yes. If Kikyou's group gets out first, then I'll say no.

"Ayanokouji...?"

Hmm... They're still talking, but I guess that makes sense. We just answered a test. I'm sure they wanted to chat about that. For now, I'll try to stall for time. I gazed down and made an excuse.

"I'm trying to think..."

"Uhh... Sure."

I can see another group start to move. From my periphery, I could recognize Satou, Matsushita, and Shinohara. I briefly adjusted myself and saw Ichihashi and Azuma with them. 

As far as I remember, Azuma doesn't really vibe with Shinohara and Satou. I wonder how they're gonna hang out.

"Ah-"

"Oh, got an answer?"

I can't believe it. Their group actually went ahead and got out first. The outcome wasn't either of my conditions. I guess that calls for a new and third one. Not that it matters.

"Yeah... To be honest, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure my help is unnecessary, but I'll think about it for now."

*Bam*