Vol. 5: Chapter 14.1 - The Lonely Queen

Everyone's cheers could be heard as I walked through the main building's corridors. Class 1-A should be losing in most individual competitions, but their fighting chances are solid with Class D backing them up. Well, it's not like Ryuuen would put in the effort to do that, but they can't just throw the games either. 

"Oh? It seems like we have another lost one loitering about."

A female voice reverberated inside my ears. When I turned around, the face I saw wasn't at all familiar. Seeing the white bandana on her wrist, she must be a senior from Class B or Class C.

"Um, is there anything you need from me?"

"Oh, don't mind me. I just find it amusing that a couple of cute first-years are skipping out on such a fun event."

I could say the same for you.

A "couple of cute first-years", huh? I guess she saw Sakayanagi at some point, too. 

"Hey now, I'm not going to bite, okay? You don't have to be that cautious. I'm just trying to create some small talk."

Cautious, is it? Wouldn't you usually think of the other person as awkward or nervous?

"I'm sorry... I just... don't know what to say."

"Ahaha, don't apologize now, Kouhai." She laughed merrily as if amused. "Are you going to keep on skipping out? If so, then why not hang out with me?"

Another unexpected question. I'm suddenly getting picked up like a girl in Shinjuku. Calling the situation "weird" would be an understatement here.

"Why me?" I asked in a calmer tone.

"Hehh... So you finally stopped acting like a nervous wreck, huh? It doesn't really suit you."

I see. That guy... He must have a reason for this.

"I understand. Then I guess we could go to the infirmary. Please head on first, Senpai."

She smirked and turned around before walking. Since we were from different teams, we can't really be seen walking together. I'm sure she knew that, as well.

We got to the infirmary in silence. There were no patients inside so far. The ones who needed primary treatment were still stationed inside the tents. I opened the door and saw her sitting on a plastic chair. I moved the curtain covering one of the beds and sat. It shouldn't be a problem since I had an actual injury.

"You got anything to say?" she asked.

"What do you want to hear?"

"Anything is fine. It's enough as long as I can figure out what sort of person you are. Think of it as a test."

I'm still in the dark, so the risk of failing this "test" isn't something I'm willing to take.

"What's your name, Senpai?"

She leaned back and shoved her long platinum-blonde hair behind.

"Kiryuuin Fuuka," she replied.

Kiryuuin Fuuka, is it? She smiled expectantly in anticipation to what I would say next.

"So, Kiryuuin-senpai. How much did Horikita-senpai tell you, exactly?"

She lit up and clapped her hands once.

"Perfect score!" she said. "How interesting... Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. I thought the president was hyping you up too much, but you might not be as boring as I initially thought you'd be."

Well, if I gave you a boring answer, then it might derail my plans into something more tedious. 

"Sorry, but could you please tell me what's going on?"