Vol. 7: Chapter 7.1 - Requests

December 18th, Saturday.

I picked up a damp cloth I'd been using to mop up dirt and dust and threw it in the garbage bag. After washing my hands, I sat on my bed, listening to the creak of the springs.

Since it was December, I decided to use the weekend for some end-of-year cleaning. I wasn't much of a packrat, but it took over half a day to finish everything. Well, the main reason was obvious. My room had become some sort of hub for different people to hang out. 

That said, I wonder if I had managed to return my room to the pristine condition it was in when I first moved here.

"A clean room is such a great thing," I muttered.

I turned on my teakettle, thinking that I would take a little breather. I was somewhat hesitant about using the sparkling cup I'd just washed, but there was no other option. While waiting for the water to boil, I took out my phone.

"Guess I'll have some tea."

My cabinets overflowed with tea bags. Since I had all kinds of visitors stobbing by, I'd amassed an extensive range of supplies from coffee to black tea to green tea and roasted tea. 

I turned my head to the side and saw the reusable bags that I kept. Half of them belonged to Karuizawa who helped me shop for supplies yesterday.

Just as I put a black tea bag into my cup, someone buzzed from the first floor.

A classmate would've rang my doorbell, so who could this be? I went to check the screen and found myself looking at a surprising face. I could've pretended to be away, but there's no point in doing that right now. After all, this was someone I'd been thinking about seeing myself, and he'd already come all the way out here.

"I'd like a moment of your time. Or should I come back later?" my visitor asked through the intercom.

"Nah, now's a good time," I replied.

It was Horikita's older brother, who'd served as the student council president until recently. What an unusual visitor. I buzzed him into the building and poured boiling water into my cup while I waited.

Soon after, the doorbell rang and I opened the door.

"I'd prefer to speak privately, so please come in."

"I agree."

If Horikita saw her brother and I chatting in the hallway, she'd cause a fuss. Besides, I wanted to avoid being seen with the former student council president as much as possible.

The older Horikita noticed my tea as soon as he entered.

"I just thought I'd make myself something to drink," I said.

We made our way to the dining area and took our seats. I fetched another cup and served him some tea. I probably should've asked, but he would've stopped me before I could open the cupboard if he didn't want it.

"For a 1st-year, you keep your room quite clean," he said.

"You just came at a good time," I replied, hinting that I cleaned my room today. 

I was debating on whether I should tell him or not, but he probably already deduced that after seeing the garbage bag full of damp paper towels.

"To come all the way to the 1st-years' dorm... What's your business with me, former student council president?"

"The second semester ends next week. My time at this school is running out."

True. The 3rd-years had a little over two months left. It'd be over in the blink of an eye.