Vol. 7: Chapter 5.2 - A Leader's Stance

"Alright, class dismissed."

Everyone was prepared to leave. As Chabashira Sae fixed a stack of papers, she promptly walked towards the door.

"Ayanokouji, can you come with me to the faculty room? I want you to distribute a few reading materials to the class at a later date."

Being one of the honor students, no one batted an eye at her sudden call. These types of errands were usually taken care of by students like him, Hirata, Horikita, or Kushida. Ayanokouji followed her out without saying a word.

When the two of them left, Horikita Suzune finally found her opportunity.

"Everyone, I would like to have a word with all of you one last time before winter break."

Horikita did normal meetings regarding points in the past. She also did numerous strategy meetings preceding the sports festival and the Paper Shuffle Exam. And of course, a much-needed number of meetings were needed to address the issue with Miyomoto.

This time, the students of Class 1-A didn't feel too surprised either. But they did wonder what Horikita wanted to talk about.

"Please remain seated, everyone," said Class A's other leader, Hirata Yousuke.

On paper, Horikita was the ideal leader, much like Hirata. She was competent, serious, and honest, and she never wasted their time. Even if she wasn't as socially active as her co-leader, Horikita didn't ignore her classmates like she initially did.

If Horikita wanted to discuss something involving the whole class, it was bound to be important. All 37 students (not counting Ayanokouji and Kouenji who both immediately left for vastly different reasons) stopped what they were doing and sat back down.

"I'll be frank. Even if Miyamoto-kun was a traitor, the things that he said weren't false or baseless. It is a fact that we started losing after I took Ayanokouji-kun's position, so if the majority of the class wants me to step down, then I don't mind doing so."

Her sudden words made everyone gasp.

"Suzune...!"

"Suzunon..." 

Some students look worried as well, especially Hasebe and Mori who just became closer to Horikita recently.

"Horikita-san, I don't think you have to do that... I'm also a leader, but I was just as powerless during the sports festival and Miyamoto-kun's situation..." said Hirata.

"I think it's a reasonable proposal, though. Hirata-kun was also treated as a co-leader even during Ayanokouji-kun's leadership. I, on the other hand, became a leader just because Ayanokouji-kun said so. If the class doesn't have the same opinion, then we have a debate on our hands," Horikita replied without a hint of stress or emotion. She was just stating some cold hard logic.

"Before you continue with this, I want to set things straight, Horikita-san," Karuizawa spoke up. "You're not saying all this just because you're drowning in misery after our repeated losses, are you?"

The thought on the back of everyone's mind has finally been addressed. Horikita's classmates could only stare at Karuizawa in awe for putting it out there without hesitation.

"I'm glad you tried to clarify that, Karuizawa-san," Horikita nodded before facing everyone once again. "After coming to this school, I've seen many students who are more capable than me in many different aspects. Some are more athletic than I am, like Kinoshita-san from Class D. A few others can surpass me in academics like Yukimura-kun or Sakayanagi-san. And finally, I'm especially weak when it comes to socializing, unlike Kushida-san or Hirata-kun, or someone like Ichinose-san. They are some of the most influential students due to their self-made connections, and I can only dream of having superb social skills like theirs."