Chapter two Royal

Normally when I rent to someone I don't care, because normally they're nice and friendly. But this one I do care all I asked for was her name and she went on thinking I wanted her number. I mean I do want her number but she seemed to have very little interest in me and I don't care for throwing myself at someone who wants absolutely nothing to do with me.

—-

I'm making dinner for myself when I hear a dog bark. I of course allow dogs in the rentals but I still would have liked to know. I open my door to see an adorable puppy running around willy-nilly with Apple chasing them.

"Waverley Ash Howard. Get over here right now!" Carmel says, sounding pissed. It's kind of funny she's just a tiny little thing hollering at another tiny little thing.

"Need some help?" I visibly see Apple jump. I lean against my doorframe as I wait for her answer. She quickly glances at me, then looks back at the dog then looks at me again, and looks me up and down. I had no intention of leaving my house again tonight so all I'm wearing are some low-sitting PJ pants.

"Maybe if you got more clothes on."

"Like this or I'm not helping."

She debates it for a second and then says "Get your ass over here and help already."

I push off from the door frame and stalk towards her.

"What's the dog's name?"

"Wave."

"I thought you said, Waverley?"

"I did but Waverley is a mouth full so I normally just call her Wave unless I'm mad at her like I am right now."

"Aww, what could such a cute little thing do to make you mad?"

"She took a chunk out of my favorite bra."

"Well, why'd you leave it laying around?"

"It was in the bag!"

"Ok ok, Wave baby, come here." I make a clicking sound with my tongue and crouch down. The dog crouches down in a downward dog-type style and wags her tail.

"Come on, she just wants to play."

"Yeah, it's almost eight. I am in no mood to play."

"You gotta ball?"

"Of course."

"Ok, can you get the ball?"

"Um yeah, sure." She jogs to her house and reemerges a few minutes later holding a bright yellow tennis ball.

"Catch." She says before tossing the ball at me. I catch it easily before standing back up and chucking it down the sandy beach. The dog promptly takes off towards it and jumps up catching it in her mouth.

"What breed is she?" I ask turning towards Carmella. She's wearing loose-fitting shorts and an off-the-shoulder sweater with glasses and her dark brown hair in a messy knot on her head.

"French Brittany spaniel."

"How old?"

"Just under a year."

"Oh, so a puppy puppy."

"Yeah, a puppy puppy." She says sitting down with her legs in front of her and her arms supporting her weight. Waverley approaches and drops the ball at my feet.

"Who taught her that?" I ask picking up the slobbery ball.

"My ex."

"Ooooo, now we're getting juicy."

"Not really, I'm sleepy so I'm telling the truth."

"Ok, then I'll stop talking."

"What?"

"You said being sleepy makes you tell the truth. I don't want you to say anything you might regret."

"Don't flatter yourself, darling, I honestly don't care if I were to tell you my deepest darkest secret."

"So what you're saying is that you're about to confess your sins to me?"

"Nope."

"Wussy."

"Maybe."

I throw the ball a few more times and then turn around.

"Ok it's late enou- And she's asleep."

"Great, that's, that's just great."

"Wave come here and lick her face like they do in the movies." I look at the dogs and she tilts her head. She's a tri-color. Dark brown above her eyes making it look like she has eyebrows. Mostly white with a few black-brown patches. Her head is all black except for around her chin and like I said her eyebrows she also has some white in between her eyes.

"Ok, come on Apple you gotta get up," I say crouching down next to her and poking her in the side.

"Apple, Apple, Apple, Apple," I say, my voice increasing with each Apple. She shifts a little, laying her face in the sand.

"Ok baby let's not do that." I reach my hand under her head and put my other one under her legs and lift her up. I carefully brush the sand off her face and legs and she opens her eyes lightly.

"Hey Apple, your door unlocked?"

"Mhm."

"Wave come on." I walk up the stairs and open the door and the dog comes brushing by me. I close the door behind me and go upstairs to where the bedroom is. I click on the lamp in the corner and pull back the covers then place her in the bed.

"Good night my little Apple." I say before placing a gentle kiss on her temple.

"Good night." She says softly. Wave hops on the bed and curls up next to Carmella's side.