49. The Divine Move

Beacon County Sheriff's Station

You, Isaac, Lydia and Scott are sitting outside of the Sheriff's office, waiting for Parrish to call you inside and ask about what happened.

Images of Allison flash through your mind, her necklace secure in the palm of your hand.

You held your other hand out, palm up, Lydia looks between your face and your hand, she takes it hesitantly.

Camp Oak Creek, Earlier That Night

"Y/N, look at me. Look at me ! Y/N, look at me !" Chris tilted your head so you were looking him in the eyes.

"You have to remember -- you called me first, okay ? Say it. You called me first" Argent released his hold on you.

"I - I called her dad first" You stuttered, not processing what'd just happened.

"Good. What else happened ? What did you see ?" He moved his hand to rest on your shoulder.

"There were two of them ... They tried to steal our car ... They wore masks ... I think one of them had a knife ..." You breathed heavily, gripping the gate with shaky hands.

"That's good, Y/N. Just add that you saw something sharp and metallic and that you think it was a knife. You don't have to be specific" Argent instructed.

"She's dead ..." You closed your eyes, blinking rapidly, but when you adjusted again, you realised this wasn't a dream.

"What do you say next ? If you get confused, what do you always repeat ?" Argent continued to coach you through the steps.

"It happened so fast" You reiterated back to him.

"That's right. Say it again" He turned you to face him, gripping your shoulder.

"It just happened so fast" You repeated.

"Allison left this in her room. I think she knew what was gonna happen tonight" He handed you a crumpled envelope.

"How are you doing this, Argent ?" You exhaustedly take the envelope from his hand.

"It's what we do" He patted you on the back as he walked away.

You climbed into your car, your eyes flickering between her necklace and the letter, you sighed, carefully tearing open the envelope, ripping the seal in two.

Dear Y/N,

My love, if you're reading this ... I'm sorry. I should've told you about Lydia's message. But I knew you wouldn't have let me come to Oak Creek if I told you the truth. As per usual, you were right. If I'd told you then, maybe I wouldn't have to write this letter.

I love you so much, Y/N Hale. Listen to me, I need you to know this isn't your fault, it's mine, if anything, you blame me. But I know you won't do either because ... you're grieving and you probably have a million other things on your mind.

You're trying to think of ways to kill Void without killing Stiles and I admire you for that. Despite the fact they both have the same face, you can differentiate them by their actions. It's one of the many things I love about you. Your ability to trust and forgive people who don't necessarily deserve it but you're willing to try. That's who you are and that's one of the many reasons I fell for you.

And I'm incredibly sorry if I died in your arms. I know how painful that must be. You lost Erica and now you've lost me too. Promise me you won't go off the rails because of my death. I'd feel awful if you went on a killing spree just because I died.