Chapter 4: Lunch

"I thought you were joking

"I thought you were joking." Julia rubbed her eyes as she opened the door. "It's like eight in the morning." She yawned.

"I brought coffee?" I smiled innocently and raised two cups of coffee.

"I can't be mad at you." She smiled and took one coffee from my hand. She moved out of the way to let me in and closed the door behind me. "But I don't understand why you're here. I told you I'm feeling better. I'm working at Eddie's tonight."

"I'm trying to avoid my brother. Which probably won't help much since I'm going to lunch with him." I spoke as I walked around the kitchen and jumped on the couch.

"Excuse me, your brother?" She cleared her throat.

"Yes, my brother." I was slowly sipping from my coffee.

"Since when do you have a brother?" Julie walked over to me and sat down on the chair, right next to me.

"Since I was born?" I frowned. "You know how it works, right? I know you didn't really have a boyfriend, but don't tell me you don't know how siblings are made."

"Really, Maya?" She raised an eyebrow in annoyance.

"Please appreciate my sarcasm because it's the only thing that's keeping me alive right now." I looked at her desperately.

"What is your brother doing here?"

"How should I know?" I shrugged my shoulders. "I haven't seen him in about four years. And now he's here."

He didn't just show up because he called me a while back to tell me he was coming, but I really expected him to cancel at the last minute.

"Why didn't you ever tell me about him?" I could hear a slight reproach in her voice, which was unusual.

"There was nothing to say. He left when I needed him. I tried not to think about him."

"So why are you going to lunch with him? Since it's pretty obvious you're not in the mood for him. And trust me, I know when you're not in the mood for someone, and I know how it always ends."

It's true. Julie probably knows me best. I mean, not better than I know myself, but she gets me.

"He looked really desperate."

"You felt sorry for someone?" Her eyebrows shot up. "Wow. Progress?"

"Stop it." I picked up a pillow from the couch and threw it at her.

Julie caught it with a laugh and put it behind her. "He's your brother, it can't be that bad."

"Julie, when was the last time I talked about my family?"

"Uhm. I don't remember." She frowned.

"You can't remember because it never happened. Guess why."

"I take it that it wasn't a question and that you don't really want an answer."