Chapter 6: Locked

Finally, we're leaving

A few minutes ago I got a text from Theo telling me to pack up and come to Maya's.

It didn't take long since I hadn't even unpacked. It was a good decision.

I stood in front of Maya's apartment with my travel bag and waited for someone to open the door for me.

"You're here quickly." Theo frowned as he finally opened the door and let me in.

"I'm excited to go back to New York. What else can I say?" I laughed and entered the apartment.

Theo slipped past me and headed for his room, I assume. I left my bag on the ground and followed him. I leaned against the doorframe and watched Theo pack.

"Where is your sister?" I asked out of curiosity.

"I don't know. She left and didn't say where." He said as if it was nothing, but something was obviously wrong.

"So you talked to her about Luna. She didn't take it well? Is that why we're leaving?" Not that I'm complaining.

"It didn't come to that." He went to the closet again and took out things from it, which he put in his bag.

"I don't understand. Isn't that why we're here in the first place?" The longer I'm here, the more confused I get.

"She was in the hospital, Sebastian." He stopped and turned to me. "She was in the hospital and I didn't know." For the first time in years, I see guilt in his eyes. "I screwed up. Big time."

"Come on, it's not your fault. How were you supposed to know?"

"Because she called me." Oops. "She called and I didn't pick up." He lowered his head and closed his eyes tightly. "It was a mistake to come here. I just made everything worse."

"Don't get me wrong, I still want to leave, but are you really leaving because you've given up?" This doesn't sound like Theo.

"She told me to get out. What should I do? It's obvious she wants nothing to do with me."

"So yeah, you're giving up." I acknowledged. "I didn't think I'd ever see this day." I laughed.

"You think this is funny? I just lost my sister."

"This is exactly your problem." I pushed myself away from the doorframe. "You still think of her as the little girl you once knew. Like it or not, she's not a child anymore. Why don't you try talking to her as your equal."