Chapter 30: Babysitter 2.0

I don't know where Maya is, since she went to find Julie, and Julie's standing in front of me right now

"Sebastian." She smiled drunkenly at me. "Can you take me home?"

I walked up to her and looked around the bar. "Where's Maya?" I couldn't find her anywhere.

"Don't worry." She patted my chest. "She's in good hands, trust me." She took the keys out of her purse. "Have you been drinking? Because I've had a little."

Oh yes, a little. I smell that little from behind the door.

"Not yet." I took the keys from her hand and once again tried to find Maya with my eyes, but to no avail.

"I'm going to throw up." Julie snapped me out of my thoughts and I immediately started walking out with her.

Fortunately, nothing she didn't. I slowly put her in her car and entered her address into the navigation, which she dictated to me.

I hope Maya gets home safe. I left my phone on the table after I called Lucy, so I can't text her. I should have gone to her in the bar. But it is too late for that.

Julie was quiet the whole way, but I couldn't help but notice that she was sad.

I helped her into her apartment and sat her down on the couch. I walked into the smaller kitchen and poured cold water into her glass and found a pill.

I handed her both, for which she thanked me, and I sat down on the sofa, on her left hand.

"Are you okay?" I raised an eyebrow.

She snorted and shook her head. "I have a question since you're a guy."

"All right?" I looked at her confused.

"Why are you such idiots?"

"Sorry what?" I said surprised.

"What does a woman have to do for you to look at her as anything other than a toy? Are we really just there to warm your bed for a while before someone else replaces us?"

"Julie, what..."

"I mean, what am I doing wrong?" She cut me off. "Am I not skinny enough? Cute? Smart? Pretty?" She shook her head. "Am I asking too much if I want someone to be interested in me on a level other than just sex?" Tears welled up in her eyes.

"Julie, please don't cry." For today, seeing Maya cry was enough. I can't take this anymore.

I got up and sat next to her so I could hug her.

"And then there's Maya. I love her, she's my best friend, but I still have to compare myself to her. Everyone looks at her and I'm always the second choice. Why? What's wrong with me?" She looked up at me, her eyes full of tears.

"Julie, there's nothing wrong with you." I cupped her face in my hands and wiped the tears from her cheeks. "You're beautiful and smart. If guys can't see that, it's their fault, not yours."