Chapter 20: August 11th

I haven't closed my eyes since I woke up at night and took advantage of it

I haven't closed my eyes since I woke up at night and took advantage of it. I disappeared from the apartment before Acker woke up. He'll probably kill me when he finds out I'm not in the room, but on this day, I'd rather be dead.

I went to the other side of town, just to be far enough away from everyone and not run into anyone I knew. I want to be alone.

I would prefer to drink my feelings in anything, but I don't know how it would end up with me.

The fact that my cell phone is still with the police and I don't have a new one just suits me. Julie would always call me and make sure I was okay.

Of course, I would tell her that I am. I will not burden her with my feelings.

And it's not like I can get anything out of myself.

Even the weather said a huge "fuck you" to me on this day. It started raining an hour ago and it doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon.

I watched the people passing by from behind the glass in the almost empty cafe. Some were running to hide from the rain, and some were walking slowly.

I thought about what their lives are like.

We pass by people every day and rarely do we realize that everyone has their own life. Problems they don't talk about. Feelings they can't explain.

"Can I fill you another one?" I looked away from the window when an elderly woman with a pot of coffee next to me spoke. She had red hair and green eyes. She couldn't have been more than forty.

"Yes, thank you." I tried to smile.

She poured coffee into my empty cup and disappeared somewhere behind me. I didn't expect her to come back with a muffin and put it in front of me.

Before I could say anything, she spoke. "On the house." She smiled. "Since you are our only customer."

"What?" I looked around the cafe and realized that she was telling the truth. I thought there was someone else with me, but apparently, I was wrong. "Oh."

"Would you mind if I sat down?" She smiled at me with the most pleasant smile and I couldn't refuse her.

I nodded and Angelina, seeing her name on the name tag, sat opposite me.

"It looks like it's going to rain all day today." She was looking at the street.

"The coffee tastes better that way." I tried a joke which worked as it put a smile on her face.

"In that case, let it rain all week." She laughed.

"Maybe it will." I shrugged my shoulders.

"For someone your age, you look really sad." Oh, so it's visible that much. Good to know. "Shouldn't you be somewhere enjoying life?"