Chapter 17: Acker to the rescue

I don't think I've ever seen Maya calmer

I don't think I've ever seen Maya calmer. Not even when she was with Julie.

I know I shouldn't be in her room. If she knew I was behind her, she would have taken a bat at me.

In my defense, I was knocking. But it was useless since she has headphones on and I can hear the loud music all the way to the door.

She is sitting at the table with her back to me, pencil in hand, drawing something. I don't want to get closer to her as she might notice me and then I would have a problem.

But at least for a while, I can enjoy this view.

Strands of her hair fall from a high bun and she is wearing a large black T-shirt and shorts that are only visible when she is sitting. Her foot lifts up and hits the ground to the beat of the music.

She looks so focused. I'd really like to see what she's drawing, but for now, seeing her like this is enough for me.

Every day I see a different side of Maya and I have to say, I prefer this one to any before. I don't know why.

There is something fascinating about it. In one moment she is calm, lost in her own head in a place where no one can get to her. And in the second, she is able to erupt like a volcano.

All in one person. In little Maya.

Her hand moved to the phone on her left and she lifted it up to see the screen. Maybe check the time, maybe see a message.

She put it back on the desk and put the pencil down. "You still don't know what privacy is." She spoke, which slightly unnerved me. How does she know I'm here? She hasn't even taken off her headphones yet.

The phone. She saw me in the reflection of the screen. Of course.

She turned in her chair and took off her headphones. "You want something?"

"I came to ask what you have planned for today."

"Didn't you look in my diary?" She said sarcastically. "It's Wednesday. Eddie's is closed. I'm off." She turned back to the table and closed the black book she had been drawing in.

"So no plans." I acknowledged.

"Well aren't you smart?" She snorted.

"That and quite a few other things." I shrugged. "There's a series we haven't finished. You going to join me?" I'm not in the mood to go anywhere today. Just sit down, maybe order some food and relax. It's been a crazy few days.

"Why not." She stood up and put the notebook in a drawer before walking over to me. "But I want a beer."

"It's one o'clock in the afternoon." I laughed.

"Is that judgment I hear in your tone?" She curled up and crossed her arms over her breasts.

"I wouldn't dare." I raised my hands in a defensive gesture.