Chapter 37: Ice cream

I don't know where Mrs

I don't know where Mrs. Johnson and Acker disappeared, but I had fun doing the dishes.

I put the last plate under the water and washed it. I turned off the water and put the plate aside with the others.

I put my hands on the edge of the counter and leaned back before looking through the window that was directly above the sink into the garden.

I was looking at a smaller gazebo, to which a lighted path led. When the memory appeared in my head, I felt empty.

"You know I don't dance." I pointed my finger at Christian as he connected his cell phone to the speaker at the edge of the gazebo.

It's a beautiful summer evening. The sky is clear and you can see all the stars and the full moon. The gentle wind blows our hair and tickles our skin.

"I have a feeling I can convince you." He smiled and walked over to me. He grabbed my hand and pulled me to him. I bumped into his chest with a laugh. "One dance." Dimples appeared on his cheeks and I couldn't resist.

"One," I said warningly. "And change the music. I won't dance to that." I pointed to the speaker, which was playing a rap song.

With a laugh, he pulled away from the room and went to his cell phone.

"Oh, you'll love me for this one." He winked at me over his shoulder and a tune came over the speaker.

He immediately walked up to me before I could even identify the song. He placed his hands on my back, just above my ass, while I wrapped mine around his neck.

"You did not." I left my mouth half open when the first words of the song came out.

"Was I right? Do you love me for that?" He raised his eyebrows with an amused smile.

"Oh yes, absolutely." I stood up on my tiptoes and gave him a quick kiss while Lover by Taylor Swift played in the background. "It's so sweet it makes me want to gag." I smiled into the kiss.

"That's what I expected." He laughed and we slowly started to move I felt like we were living in a fairy tale, hoping that I had found my happy ending.

I felt a tear roll down my cheek before I could stop it. I swallowed hard and wiped my face.

I turned so that I couldn't see the view and leaned my butt against the counter. I ran the back of my hand over my face again, hoping I hadn't smeared my mascara.

I breathed in and out shakily, trying to calm down.

"Thank you for helping me with that." I heard voices approaching me and tried to look as normal as possible.

"Of course, anytime." Acker appeared in the doorway, hot on Mrs. Johnson's heels.

"Oh, you're a treasure." She smiled when she saw the washed dishes behind me. "Thank you, honey."