Chapter 24: San José

"Acker! Move

"Acker! Move." I shouted at him. "It's sixteen hours away!"

I swear if he doesn't hurry up I'll go without him.

I got up at six in the morning so I could pack my things and be ready to leave.

A few minutes later, a sleepy Acker appeared at the door of the room. "Why are you yelling?" He ran his fingers through his hair and yawned.

"I want to get there today. It's a sixteen-hour drive. Why aren't you dressed yet?" I frowned. Do not tell me he just woke up because he looks just like that.

"Because we're going there in over ten hours, that's why."

"And how? Did you learn to teleport overnight?" I put my hands on my hips. "Or fly?"

"It's called a plane, Maya. Two hours by a plane."

"You think I'm stupid to not check the flights? They were all booked."

"Maya." He walked up to me. "Let me introduce you to something that my brother owns, and so do I." He stopped right in front of me. "A private jet. That means we can go whenever we want." He grabbed the travel bag on my shoulder and threw it to the ground. "Go back to bed, we leave at seven in the evening."

I'll murder him.

*****

I have never flown in a private plane. Correction. I've never flown on a plane.

I was squeezing the leather seat the whole time. I'm not a fan of flights. Good to know.

When we landed, I wanted to fall onto solid ground and kiss it. Oh god, I love it so much.

We got into a taxi at the airport and I gave the driver the address of the motel where we have a reservation that I made yesterday.

He dropped us off and Acker took our bags out of the trunk while I went to reception. The receptionist greeted me with a warm smile.

"I have a reservation for the name of Maya Carter." I said slightly tired. "Two rooms."

"Just a second." She turned to the computer and typed something on the keyboard. "Here it is. Maya Carter. Room...two hundred and six." She frowned. "There must be a mistake. You only have one room booked." She looked up at me.

"What? No. I asked for two rooms." This cannot be happening. It's almost ten o'clock and I'm ready to go to bed. "Don't you have another room?"

"I'm sorry, but all the others are taken."

You have got to be kidding me.

"Could you take another look?" I breathed out hard.

"Of course." She said tensely and looked at the computer again. "I'm sorry."

"Oh, God." I lowered my head. "Fine. It doesn't matter." I took the key with the number two hundred and six from the table and started walking away.

"I wish you a pleasant stay!" She shouted after me.