Chapter 18: Apartment

I couldn't believe my eyes

My personal space is ruined.

My room torn to pieces. Drawings that I made, and pictures that were up on my wall are everywhere, all around the ground. Shirts and pants, skirts and dresses were dragged out of my closet and thrown on the floor with the rest of my other clothes. Shelves ripped from the walls, my laptop, my headphones, and a chair broken.

Everything ruined.

But there was one more thing. An inscription on the right wall in capital letters.

I SEE EVERYTHING

That's not disturbing at all.

"How the hell did this happen?" I heard Acker from the other room, while I was blankly looking at my bedroom wall. "It's in the middle of the day!"

"Sir, please relax..."

"Do your goddamn job and bring in whoever is responsible for this." He cut some officers off.

"Miss Carter." I turned to see a female officer with paper in her hands. "Would you mind answering a few questions for me?"

"Officer Simmons that won't be necessary." I froze when I heard a rough man's voice. A familiar voice. "I'll take it from here."

"Of course detective." She smiled before walking away from my room.

I didn't dare to turn around to see his face. Wishing that maybe if I didn't look he would just leave.

But that obviously didn't happen.

"Maya." He walked in front of me into my line of sight.

"Mr. Johns...sorry. Detective Johnson." I look up at his face and I felt so many emotions at once that I'm surprised I'm still standing on my feet. He hasn't changed since the last time I saw him, maybe just a few more wrinkles.

"It's Luke, or in the worst case Mr. Johnson, Maya." His lips twitched into a little smile for a second. "That hasn't changed."

"Sorry." I apologized again not sure for what anymore, playing with my fingers, trying to relieve some tension.

"I'm really sorry that we have to see each other under these circumstances." His gaze ran over my room, stopping at some pictures under our feet. "Do you have any idea who could do this?"

I understood the words coming out of his mouth but there was just something inside me that I couldn't get past. The last time I saw his face was at a funeral; now that's all I can think of.

"Mr. Acker has already informed my colleagues about a certain situation." He said after a while. "Someone sending you texts and pictures."

"Yeah, uhm..." I shook my head and closed my eyes to concentrate. "It started a few weeks ago but I didn't think anything of it." I hugged myself. "He send roses as well and then went quiet for while. I got some texts lately but I haven't looked at them."