Chapter 35: A baby

I honestly don't remember when I agreed with Charlotte to babysit her daughter

I honestly don't remember when I agreed with Charlotte to babysit her daughter. It's possible that it was when I was drunk and that explains why I don't remember it.

I should control myself more.

Julie, as my guardian angel, is already on her way.

But it probably won't be fast enough, because at the moment I hung up, I heard crying.

I left the room. "What did you do?" I frowned at Acker, who just stood by the seat on the counter.

"Me? Nothing. I didn't even touch her." He put his hands in a defensive gesture.

I walked over to him, a child's cry echoing throughout my apartment. Nat had tears running down her cheeks and was red.

Oh god, why did I say yes?

"What's wrong with you?" I asked as if she could answer me.

"I'm pretty sure it's because of what's going on in her diaper. You wouldn't be too thrilled to have shit smeared all over your ass either..."

"You're not helping." I interrupted him. "Pick her up and rock her in your arms, maybe that will help." I nodded.

"Me?" He raised an eyebrow. "Maya, I don't think you understand me. I've never held a baby."

"What about your niece?" I frowned.

"She was adopted when she could walk and use the toilet. She," he pointed at Nat, "is small."

"And you think it's different with me?"

"Don't you have maternal instincts?"

"I'm not a mother, Acker, I don't know if you've noticed." I inadvertently raised my voice and Nat must have taken it as a challenge to a shouting match as she started to cry louder.

"She's got pretty big lungs for something so small." He acknowledged.

"That doesn't help."

"I'm sure you can handle it better than I can. Just take her out of it and be careful she doesn't fall."

"You don't say." I rolled my eyes and walked over to the counter. "Please, Nat, don't cry." I unfastened her from the seat and carefully went under her back. I slowly started to pull her out of it, her crying did not stop. "Come on." I pulled her to my body and patted her back a little.

I shouldn't have.

"Acker." I looked at him and saw him trying to hold back his laughter. "Tell me she didn't just throw up on my back."

"At least she's quiet." He couldn't take it anymore and laughed.

This is it. This moment. I will never have children.

But before I could say anything, she started crying again. "Oh, my God."

I smell like vomit and I have a baby in my hands who has a full diaper that will probably explode in a moment. How did I get here?