Chapter 29: Old friend

I fucked up

I fucked up.

I fucked up so bad I'd rather face my own father than see Maya cry again.

Why did I ask? I knew it wouldn't be easy for her to say, but I asked anyway. How big of an idiot can one person be?

She was quiet the rest of the way on the plane and in the car to her apartment.

It was killing me.

She was lost in her own head and there was nothing I could do about it.

Everything she said...it all started to make sense to me. The reason why she sometimes behaves the way she does. Why she doesn't want to let anyone in. Because she did and she lost him.

If I could, I would kick the shit out of Christian, if only because he left her. Even if it wasn't his fault.

I'm talking nonsense, I know. But my head is going through something right now.

"Made up? Yes. Cried?" She snorted. "If Maya ever sheds a tear, something is going to be really bad." I heard Julie's words over and over in my head.

More than once I wanted to say something while we were sitting in the car, but I didn't want to make it worse.

I promised that what was said on the plane would stay there. I don't need her to start yelling at me for being a liar again.

"Maya?" I finally spoke as I closed the door to her apartment while she was walking towards her room.

She stopped, her shoulders stiffened, and turned slowly. She looked tired. Not physically, but mentally.

"Are you hungry?" She sighed at my question. She relaxed and even tried to smile.

"No, but thank you."

"Okay." I nodded, but neither of us moved. We stood a few meters apart and looked at each other.

"Uhm..." She looked down at the ground before looking back up at me. "I'd like to go see Julie at Eddie's later. You don't have to go, I'm just letting you know."

"I'll join. I need a drink."

"Okay." She bit her lip and slowly turned and went to her room.

"Good job Sebastian," I said quietly to myself. "Could you be any more awkward?" I shook my head and threw myself on the couch.

I noticed that my phone vibrated, but I let it go.

I need to organize my thoughts.