ten | fake it till you make it

What was I thinking? After spending my afternoon at my parent's house for the weekly Saturday lunch, I should be going home and sleeping my weekend away

If not, I should be calling whatever little I had in the name of friends, some little camaraderie I had made with the staff of my office and get drunk to celebrate the 27% rise in the sales of the last six months.

I wasn't an idiot, no, but I also wasn't a loser. I remembered how Vienna declined my proximity and I also wasn't one to force myself on women. But was she really rejecting me? Or just resisting me?

I'd seen the goosebumps on her arms and that type of crazed goosebumps only came when one was either scared or nervous. Vienna didn't have the disgusted expression on her face when I angled my face against her neck nor did she express any disagreement on the matter because any woman that hated a man's closeness would never tilt her head as an open invitation to the man. So she was clearly enjoying my hovering presence. . . .

Until she was not.

And I needed to get every damned thought of hers out of my fucking mind before I got crazy.

According to my theory, Vienna didn't find the idea of me repulsive but apparently something about her and me together shot her guards up. Something about the possibility of us made her scared and I wanted to know what she was afraid of.

Of falling in love and being left. Alone, cold and miserable. Her words from the "Porn Night" (that's what I'd decided to call the night when Sul had proposed to Savannah and both Vienna and I had almost watched live porn) rung loud and clear in my ears. But I also remembered promising to her that I would never hurt her, albeit a little unconvincingly, so it was only fair if she doubted me.

That was why, after helping Lily look at the apartment listings in London online the entire afternoon, instead of either partying or going home, I had climbed in my car and drove to Vienna's place.

What was I thinking? I still thought to myself as I plucked a file from the backseat of my car and stepped out into her neighbourhood.

I had needed an excuse to talk to Vienna and what better to talk about than work? Just so I didn't invade her privacy, I had also texted Vienna twice with texts along the lines of you forgot a file at the office that needs to be reviewed until Monday and since you won't reply, I'm bringing the file to you because I need them coming week, no excuses. Hopefully she won't ask me to suck my own dick like she did Miller Jones.

The streetlights still blinked unceremoniously with little guarantee of it not getting broken and just stopping altogether. These streetlights were the only source of light in this neighbourhood and if they stopped working, there was little left to say about this place being safe.

Sighing, I whisked the phone from my pant's pocket and shot a quick text to Josh.

Me : Can you please check out the streetlights at the address I'm sending you below and have them either repaired or replaced ASAP?