EPILOGUE

seven months later

seven months later

“Lily, no. That’s not where— No! Oh my God!” I exclaimed, waving my hand in front of my phone screen to get her attention as she tried to apply the effects on her latest video clip by herself. “The text comes first so you have to adjust the duration in a way that it doesn’t intercept your next text or come in the way of the transi—”

“I CANNOT DO IT,” she yelled, throwing her hands up in the air and slamming her laptop shut. She grabbed her phone and looked at me through her camera as we talked on video call. “I’m hiring you full time. I don’t care how much money you ask me for. I’ll give you whatever. Just keep editing these videos for me. I’m only good for recording and posting them; the rest you handle.” She flashed her puppy eyes at me, the vivid brown in them staring back at me as I shook my head. “Pleaaaaase?”

I laughed. “Okay. I’ll keep editing for you but you have to learn the basics in case I’m not available sometime. Let’s do it again, okay? Turn your laptop—”

“Nope!” she said, suddenly standing up and grabbing her laptop. With her phone pressed to her face so close I couldn’t even make out her surroundings, she huffed. “Go home, will you? Isn’t it your and my brother’s first wedding anniversary tomorrow? Shouldn’t you be planning on how you want to celebrate it? Why the fuck are you battling heads with me for the past two hours?”

I sighed. Taking a sip from the cold coffee I’d ordered at the new cafe that opened last month down the street of our penthouse, I looked around. The hot August wind blew through the streets. The skies blazed light blue and the sun, yellow and bright was starting to set already. “Kyst had an emergency meeting he couldn’t miss. He was supposed to come home early but I don’t think he’s coming back now.” I checked my wrist watch. It was close to half past six already and there had been no texts for Kyst still.

When he had left for office today, he’d told me he would come home early so we could go on an impromptu road trip tonight and celebrate our anniversary in the mountains or somewhere colder. But when he informed me about this meeting, I’d been bummed. I didn’t want to be the asshole wife who disturbed her husband during work so I’d just told him it was fine and that we could just plan something tomorrow. Besides, there had been multiple times in the past when Kyst had dropped all of his work whenever I’d so much as mentioned missing him so I could just suck it up and be a good sport for him today, right?

It wasn’t like he had forgotten our anniversary like Sully had his. That was one huge spectacle. Sully and Savannah’s wedding came a month before ours. Some weeks ago, it was their wedding anniversary and Savannah came home early from work while we helped her decorate their entire home just to find out Sully wasn’t coming home. Not only that but he had apparently also forgotten their anniversary and had been on a business trip without informing Sav. She’d been devastated and Sully was probably sleeping on the couch for the better part of this month.