Overthinking- Jenna Ortega

Word count: 1389

"Hey babe," you called out, walking into your shared apartment with your girlfriend. But you noticed something off, normally when you got home your girlfriend was in the kitchen dancing and cooking, or on the couch writing, but she was nowhere to be seen. All of the lights were off and the apartment was silent. "Jenna?" You called, setting your keys down and walking through the front room. You looked through the entire apartment, calling her name as you went. But she wasn't there. So you decided to text her.

You (8:19 pm) Hey babe, I'm home. Just let me know when you see this <3 *delivered*

You set your phone down on the counter, wondering what to do while you waited for a response. You were pretty hungry and Jenna probably would be when she got home, so you decided to make some dinner.

Now, you are not a good cook. In fact, you have always been a pretty terrible cook, something Jenna loves to tease you about. So in order to avoid any of that, you went with making some simple spaghetti, still somehow almost burning everything in the process. After you finished trying to keep the sauce from overflowing onto the stove, you checked your phone, hoping the brunette had responded to you. Your heart sank at what you saw.

You(8:19 pm) Hey babe, I'm home. Just let me know when you see this <3 *read*

Jenna only ever leaves you on read when she is pissed at you. You racked your brain for anything you might have done that could have upset the girl, but you didn't find anything.

You (8:56 pm) Are you okay? *delivered*

You set your phone down again, anxiety coursing through your veins. You tried to push it aside as you ate your dinner, but your appetite was completely gone, replaced with worry. Why would Jenna be mad at you? You hadn't done anything that you know of to upset her. You set your dishes in the sink and walked over to the couch, checking your phone again.

You (8:56 pm) Are you okay? *read*

Your heart sank again, tears rimming your eyes. This was very unusual for her, even when she had a bad day.

You (9:23 pm) I love you. *delivered*

No matter how mad she was, she always responded to that, because she did always love you, even when she was unbelievably pissed. You tried to not let your overthinking get the best of you, beginning to bite your nails as you thought more and more about the situation. You stared at your blank phone screen, waiting and hoping that she would answer, But as you sat there looking at the dimly lit screen, your heart dropped once more.

You (9:23 pm) I love you. *read*

Tears began to fill your eyes as you wondered what you did wrong. The mere fact that she wasn't answering you brought you to tears, your overthinking getting the best of you. The more you cried the more your eyes began to feel heavy, and before you could stop it, you fell asleep.

***time skip***

"y/n?" You woke to your girlfriend's soft voice calling your name, hearing as she dropped her keys in a bowl, the door shutting softly. You sat up immediately, trying to read her tone. Was she mad? Why didn't she answer? But when your eyes connected with hers, you didn't see any telltale emotion, she looked as normal as ever. "Y/n." She said, a sigh of relief coming from her as she walked toward you, dropping her bag in the middle of the floor. She stopped however when she saw how puffy your eyes were from crying. "Baby," she whispered, coming to sit next to you, "what's wrong?" She cooed, running her hand down your cheek, causing tears to form in your eyes again.

"Did I do something wrong?" You sniffed, fidgeting with your fingers as you looked down at the couch. She pulled your face by your chin, making you look at her. She always did this when you were sad because she knew you couldn't lie about how you were feeling if you looked her in the eyes.

"no y/n, you didn't do anything wrong, why would you think that baby?" She asked, her soft brown eyes seeming sad at just the mention of the concept. She never liked it when you cry but she absolutely hated it when you cried because of her.

"You didn't answer me when I said 'I love you.' you always do that, even when you're mad" You began to cry again, the tears rolling softly down your face as the sound of your sniffles filled the room. Jenna looked at you softly, her face full of confusion. She had no idea what you meant. You turned your gaze away from her, grabbing your phone and unlocking it, opening it right to yours and Jenna's messages. You handed her the phone, trying to quiet your sniffles. She grabbed the phone from you, peeling her eyes away reluctantly. But as she read down the screen, her expression turned from one of confusion to one of guilt.

"Shit," she muttered, her eyes glued to her phone screen as she realized what had happened. Your gaze was still on the floor, not wanting her to see you cry any more than she already had. "Oh, baby I'm so sorry." She said, setting your phone back on the couch.

"So, did I do something?" You asked again, your eyes focusing on the pattern on the carpet, refusing to look at the woman in front of you. She grabbed both of your hands in hers, pulling you closer.

"No, you did nothing wrong," she said, her voice small and soft. "Look at me y/n." She said suddenly, her words ringing in your ears. You reluctantly pulled your gaze off of the carpet and back onto her soft features. She looked right at you, her eyes filled with love and adoration, returning her hand to your cheek. "You did absolutely nothing wrong. I let Emma borrow my phone while I finished shooting. She told me that someone had texted me and that she had read it by accident. If I had known it was you I would've answered the second my phone was back in my hands, but I thought it could wait because I just wanted to get home to you." she said, rubbing small circles on your cheek with her thumb.

"What?" you asked, your voice failing you as you looked at her. You felt a wave of relief wash over you at the very real explanation, looking at Jenna, feeling stupid for overreacting this much.

"I love you so much y/n." She smiled, but the guilt still nagged at her. She felt absolutely awful that you felt the way you did because of her, even if she didn't do it intentionally. "I'm so sorry you doubted that I did." She said, her eyes becoming glossy as tears began to form. You didn't waste one more second wrapping her in a hug, your face falling into the crook of her neck. Her hand began gently stroking your hair as your arms tightened around her waist, feeling like such an idiot that you really thought Jenna would leave you on read.

The two of you stayed like this until your tears dried, your breath calming as you held one another close.

"You know," You said after a minute, lifting your head to look at Jenna. Her brown eyes were full of contentment as you spoke, her lips turning into a small smile as she waited for what you would say. "I tried to make spaghetti," you muttered, thinking about the disaster in the kitchen. She let out an audible laugh, her hand cupping your face once more.

"Oh did you now?" She teased, laying a soft kiss on your lips, smiling into you. "How many things did you burn?" She asked, pulling away to look into your eyes once more.

"Rude!" You giggled, acting offended at her words. She just let out another laugh, kissing you again, this time letting you wrap your arms around her neck, and kissing her back.