School trip- Vada Cavell

Word count: 1579

As you stood in the hallway looking for your best friend, Mia Reed, you felt the anxiety build in you, making you regret accepting this in the first place. It was the senior class trip to new york, and the only reason you had accepted to go was because Mia had offered to pay for it.

"Hey y/n!" You heard her yell from behind you, her hands landing on your shoulders. As you turned around to face her you saw the huge smile on her face, her bags slung over her shoulder. "Are you so ready for this week?" She smiled, holding your hands in hers.

"Oh, you know it!" You beamed sarcastically, Mia rolling her eyes at your antics. You had just wanted to stay home and enjoy having the house all to yourself, but Mia practically begged you to go on this trip with her.

"Don't look behind you." Mia suddenly whispered, her tone was playful, but you felt a hint of seriousness, and of course, you wouldn't listen to her. You whipped around suddenly and saw the one person she promised wouldn't be there. Vada.

"Seriously!?" You yelled, turning back around and gripping Mia's arms. You and Vada had always hated each other, and you didn't even really have a reason to, but that didn't stop you from despising her. "You told me she wouldn't be here!"

"I know! I know! When I asked she said she wasn't going." Mia defended, ripping her hands away from your iron grip and shaking them off. You weren't really mad at Mia, you were just mad that you not only had to go on this trip, but you had to go on this trip with Vada. "Please say you're still going."

You looked Mia dead in the eyes, genuinely contemplating whether you were still going to attend this week-long trip across the country. But after seeing your best friend's face, you couldn't possibly say no.

"You're lucky I love you."

***time skip***

It had been a long and uncomfortable flight to new york, but you made it there in one piece and that was all you really needed. Thankfully, the rest of the day was going to be spent just settling in. So your plan was to shower and sleep, nothing more, nothing less.

"I can't wait to see what our room looks like!" Mia yelled excitedly, hopping up and down as she ran through the hotel lobby, following the mob of other students from your school. "Do you think we will have to share a bed?" You didn't even answer her question because all you had your mind on was going to bed.

But before long, you and all of these other students had been filed into a line, one of the chaperones passing out some index cards. As you got closer, you heard what she was saying to each student.

"These are your room numbers, your roommates have been randomized, you will just have to deal with it."

As you heard these words your heart sank and you immediately turned to Mia who had the same expression you did. Neither of you had any idea that you would be separated, and now that you knew that, you were less than happy.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me." You hissed as you got closer up the line. You didn't even want to go on this stupid trip, and now you won't even be able to use Mia as your shield from the outside world. As you got to the front you were handed a paper that had 'Room 272' written in black marker, the key card taped to it.

"I got 246, what about you?" Mia asked as she walked over to where you had wandered, her index card in hand. You just extended yours toward her and watched as her mouth turned into a frown, her brows furrowing. "Well, shit."

"How I feel exactly." You grumbled as you stuffed the paper into your pocket, putting the key card in another. The only way you were going to make it through the day was if your roommate was just as awkward as you and didn't try to start up any conversation.