School trip: part 2- Vada Cavell

Word count: 1529

"Hey! Y/n!" Mia waved as you got off the bus, and headed to the ferry for the Statue of Liberty. You hadn't seen Mia yet today and you were relieved beyond belief. You ran straight for her, wrapping your arms around her quickly.

"Boy, am I happy to see you," you exhaled as you grabbed onto the dancer, her excitement dying as she realized something wasn't quite right. And as you let go of her and took a step back, you saw the confusion on her face.

"You look like shit." She smiled as she looked you up and down, noticing the bags under your eyes and the way you were holding your shoulders awkwardly.

"Shut up," You groaned as you turned your gaze to the floor, unsure of how to explain why you looked so rough. "I did not sleep well. My room only had one bed, so I took the floor."

"Oh, mine too! But my roomie didn't mind sharing," She smiled, placing her arm around you and beginning to walk toward the ferry. "Who is your roommate? Mine is that super quiet girl from art class, Emily." 

"Lucky..." you hissed as you walked alongside her, rubbing the back of your neck in the hope of relieving some tension. "I got stuck in a room with-" you began to say, but you were abruptly cut off.

"You're sleeping on the floor again tonight." Vada spat as she walked by the two of you, a smug smile on her face. "Unless you swallow your pride and sleep on the end."

"I'm good thanks." you smiled sarcastically, ignoring the look of shock on Mia's face as she pieced everything together. "Oh and you should be careful," you finished as Vada began to walk away.

As you uttered those words she quickly turned around, a few people nearby noticing. "What do you mean?" She asked quickly.

"If you keep asking me to sleep on the bed, people might think you like me." You watched long enough to see her face go red before you turned around and continued your walk to the ferry boat.

"Holy shit," Mia whispered as the two of you began to board the boat, your heart racing as you realized what you just said. "That was badass."

"Yeah," you giggled quietly, looking over your shoulder. And as you and Mia began to turn the corner you noticed one thing. Vada was talking to her best friend Nick, and he was jumping up and down like a giddy lunatic.

And just before Mia pulled your attention away to show you something cool, you heard Vada say one thing.

"How did she know?"

***time skip***

After a long day of going to famous places in New York and having your brain filled with useless history, all you wanted to do was shower and sleep, much like the night before. And as you stumbled into your hotel room, you were met with Vada, in the middle of changing.

Thankfully, she had shorts and a bra on and was in the process of slipping her shirt on when you walked in. But that didn't make it any less embarrassing for either of you, and that didn't stop her from having quite the reaction.

"Get out!" She screeched, covering herself quickly as she ducked into the bathroom. You just chuckled to yourself as you walked into the room fully, throwing your backpack onto the chair and sprawling out on the bed.

"Calm down babe, I wasn't looking." You smirked as you shut your eyes. But they immediately snapped back open as soon as you realized the nickname you had used. Of course, you meant it in a joking way, but did she know that?

As soon as she had hopped in the bathroom, she was back out, fully dressed this time. As soon as she saw you on the bed, she rushed over, grabbing your legs and shoving you off abruptly.

"Uh uh, you're on the floor." She tutted as she lay down where you had just been, smirking as she was the pained expression on your face. You had fallen a foot and a half from the bed to the floor, landing perfectly in your makeshift bed from last night.

"Hey, I was just testing it out." You grumbled as you kicked your shoes off, not caring enough to change your clothes before attempting to fall asleep. Vada just rolled her eyes at you before shutting the lamp off and climbing under the bed sheets.

As you tossed and turned, trying to get comfortable, it seemed like the pain in your shoulders and spine only grew. You tried to lay every way possible to try and alleviate the pain, but nothing was working, and after a few minutes, Vada spoke up.

"Would you quit making so much noise?" She hissed as she looked over the edge of the bed, watching as you turned on your side yet again, the blankets rustling "I'm trying to sleep here."

"Yeah, so am I." You snapped back, sitting up, your face inches away from hers. "At least you have a bed, I have a hotel floor." Even in the dark, you could see her smile grow.

"You know, I said you could take the end." She smiled smugly, leaning closer to you, just enough so you could sense the confidence in her tone. You debated actually sleeping on the end of the bed but then decided you wouldn't let her win.

"I'm not some kind of dog." You snapped as you looked right into her eyes, making sure she could tell that you weren't going to cave in. But to your surprise, her smile didn't falter, she just scoffed, her response digging in like a knife.

"Could've fooled me." She smirked proudly. You just scoffed before laying back down and facing away from her, trying to ignore her smart-ass remark. 

She returned to her spot in the bed, the both of you trying to sleep. But after a few more minutes of tossing and turning, she spoke again.

"If I let you sleep up here will you stop moving so much?" You tried to find any hint of malice in her voice, but she sounded genuine and tired. You didn't speak, instead, you just stood up and tossed your pillow on the vacant side of the bed, beginning to climb on. "Wait!"

"What?" You hissed as she turned around to look at you, her hair falling in her face.

"At least change out of your dirty clothes." She hissed, her tone returning cold and distant. You were too tired to fully change, but you agreed that you couldn't sleep in the clothes you wore around New York City all day.

"Fine." You sighed as you took a step back. You slowly pulled your shirt over your head, ignoring the soreness in your shoulders. You then slid your sweatpants down your legs before kicking them off, ignoring the fact that her eyes were trailing up and down your body. "This good enough for you?"

Her eyes quickly flicked back up to meet yours, her breathing quick. You were left standing there in your bra and the pair of boxers you had worn that day, the rest of your clothes discarded somewhere on the floor.

"You- um- yeah it's fine." She stuttered, her words seeming to spill out of her mouth as she tried to compose herself. Before she could do something too embarrassing she turned around burying herself under the covers as you climbed in.

So there you were, your back mere inches away from Vada Cavell as the two of you attempted to fall asleep in your shared bed.

***time skip***

You woke up the next morning, your head fuzzy as you tried to make sense of where you were. You felt the light sheets all around your body, soft skin touching your legs and the cold feeling of breath on your neck. As your eyes opened you realized everything that was going on.

Vada was much closer to you than she had been just hours before, so much so that your legs were lightly entwined with hers, her face resting on your shoulder, your arm along her waist. You didn't have much time to process this situation before you felt her shifting awake, shutting your eyes, and pretending to still be asleep.

As she made the same realization you had, she sat up quickly, her legs pulling away from yours. You knew that this sudden movement surely would have woken you up if you weren't already awake, so you pretended to stir.

"Morning," you groaned as you sat up, looking at the brunette whose face was bright red, her hands fidgeting on her lap. You were just as nervous as she was, but you had to act like you didn't know. "You okay?"

"Hm? Yeah, fine." She mumbled as she hopped up out of bed, heading for the bathroom. She took one swift look back at you before shutting the door, the shower turning on almost instantly. And there was one thing you knew you absolutely had to do.

Text Mia.