Where is she- Tara Carpenter

Word count: 1594

You walked into school hand in hand with your girlfriend. This was the first day all of you would be coming back after everything that had happened. Chad and Mindy walked in behind the two of you, the air becoming thicker as the students around you began to stare. You felt Tara's hand tremble a bit the farther you walked into the school, the whispers from everyone around you chilling you deeply.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay." You whispered to her, giving her hand a small squeeze. She just gave you a small smile as the four of you continued walking.

"Okay, everyone is staring and I hate it," Mindy spoke, grabbing onto your backpack with one hand while grabbing Chad's arm with the other. "It is seriously freaking me out." It was true, it seemed like the entire population of Woodsboro high was paying attention to you, but could you blame them? The four of you had barely survived the most recent Ghostface attack, only making it out because you were lucky. The bell rang suddenly, scaring the shit out of everyone in the hallway. Luckily you and Chad had your first class together, and so did Mindy and Tara.

"Okay baby, I'll see you in an hour." You said, turning to your girlfriend. Her face was twisted into one of fear as she stared down the long hallway, students disappearing into their classrooms.

"Yeah, yeah," she stuttered, reluctantly letting go of your hand, "in an hour." You placed a soft kiss on her cheek before turning to Chad and walking with him to your first class. The second the two of you walked through the doors, the whispers started back up, everyone shamelessly staring at you.

"Great," he whispered to you, walking over to your usual seats, "I feel like a zoo animal."

"Hm, no kidding." You responded, sitting next to him and trying to pay attention to anything other than the eyes on you. The two of you tried desperately to ignore the fact that every conversation in the classroom was about you, trying to figure out something to talk to each other about. Soon enough the teacher walked into the room, her mouth momentarily hanging open when her eyes landed on you and Chad.

"Y/n, Chad," she smiled, sitting down at her desk, "we weren't expecting you back so soon, how are you feeling?" That was probably a question you had both been asked over a hundred times, the phrase seemed to be engraved in your mind.

"Like someone who got stabbed," Chad laughed, his poor attempt at dark humor causing an uncomfortable silence to fall over the class.

"Ditto," you smiled, hoping to take some of the attention off of him and onto you. It truly was an impossible feeling to describe. You weren't sad about what happened, and obviously, you weren't happy, but you didn't really know what to feel. Of course, you were pissed off at Amber and Richie, and their obsession with the 'Stab' movies. The teacher just gave the two of you an awkward smile and began her lesson. You laid your head on your desk as she spoke, trying to ignore the stares and whispers from your classmates.

***time skip***

You woke suddenly to the sound of the bell, jolting out of your seat at the loud sound. You looked around, seeing Chad give you a dumb smile as he mocked you.

"Come on, let's go," he laughed, helping you up from your seat as the two of you grabbed your stuff and began toward the door. As soon as you left the classroom your heart stopped. Only a few feet ahead of you there was someone dressed in a Ghostface mask. You grabbed Chad's hand out of instinct, making sure he was still beside you, and you know he saw what you were seeing by the way his muscles were tensed. The person barreled for the two of you, laughing as he did so, pushing you into the wall behind you

"You're fucking dead!" Chad screamed, lunging at the boy in the costume, and tackling him to the floor. You stood there frozen, just staring at the scene in front of you, tears falling down your cheeks. Chad relentlessly beat the boy, and no one tried to stop him, not even the teachers that had come into the hallway. As your mind came back to your body, your heart calming as you realized you were in no real danger, you turned your attention back to chad.

"Shit," you mumbled to yourself, seeing him on top of the boy, blood flowing from the prankster's nose and mouth. You stumbled forward, placing a hand on Chad's shoulder and pulling him back, everyone in the hallway just staring in shock. He pulled himself off of the boy after a few more punches, standing up and facing you. The two of you were both breathing quickly, tears running down your faces, your bodies shaking with fear. He wrapped you in a hug, crying into your shoulder.

"What the fuck," he mumbled, holding you tight to him. "Why the hell would they do that?" He asked. Obviously, he knew you didn't have the answer, but he just needed you to say something. The whispers in the hallway started back up, all of them questioning why someone would be so cruel as to do this to you. As you held Chad your heart stopped, remembering something.

"Oh god," you mumbled, pulling away from Chad. You looked him right in the eyes, and it clicked for him too. "Tara and Mindy," you said, taking a step back.

"Fuck." He whispered, turning on his heels. Both of you sprinted down the hallway towards their class, not even caring about all of the people in the hallways confused by what was going on. As you turned the corner you stopped in your tracks, seeing Mindy standing by herself in the hallway shaking. "Oh god," Chad sighed in relief, running and engulfing his sister in a hug. The two of them swayed in the hallway as the girl began crying, her brother being the only thing holding her up.

"Mindy, where is Tara?" You whispered, the girl not even paying attention as she was lost in her own thoughts. Your breath quickened as you scanned the hallway for the small girl, not finding her anywhere. "Mindy," you said, a bit louder this time, but still she didn't hear you. Your mind raced as you looked around once more for her, the stares of your classmates and teachers at the sight in front of them. "Mindy!" You yelled suddenly, the girl jumping at the tone of your voice, her glossy eyes looking at you.

"Wh- what?" She stuttered, letting go of her brother as you stepped closer.

"Where is she?" You said, your voice shaking as you thought of Tara.

"I- I don't know," she sighed, her voice heavy with fear, "she just ran off." You pulled your phone out of your pocket with shakey hands, your tears smearing all over the screen as you pulled up Tara's contact and pressed the call button. It didn't even ring twice before she picked up, the sound of her sobs coming through the phone.

"Tara, baby, where are you?" You asked shakily, pacing in front of your friends, the tears falling from your eyes at a record speed. A teacher from a nearby classroom was ushering kids back into their classrooms, with the exception of you and the twins.

"Gym bathroom," she cried, the sound of her voice breaking your heart. You didn't wait another second before starting off in a sprint, the now empty hallways echoing with the sound of your shoes hitting the linoleum. You rounded the corner to the gym hallway, your heart beating out of your chest as you turned into the girl's bathroom. "Tara?" You called out, the fear and desperation in your voice sounding out.

"Y/n," she exhaled from the corner of the room, your eyes darting to her. She was curled into a ball on the floor, shaking as she cried. She stood when she saw you, the two of you running towards each other. As soon as she was within arms reach, you wrapped your arms around her, your legs giving out sending you both tumbling to the floor. As you pulled her close you began crying, relief and fear flooding through your body.

"We're okay," you cried, holding the girl so tight to you that your arms hurt. Her body relaxed as she leaned into you, burying her head in the crook of your neck, her sobs growing as you swayed with her. "It wasn't real," you reassured, needing to believe it yourself.

"We shouldn't have come back," she cried, trying to control her breathing as she spoke, "we should have never come back." All of a sudden you both heard footsteps in the hallway, your bodies tensing as the fear returned. Mindy and Chad came bursting through the bathroom doors, immediately seeing you and Tara huddled on the floor. Mindy ran to you, falling to her knees and wrapping the two of you in a hug, a shaky sigh falling from her lips. Chad soon followed her lead, dropping down to the floor and wrapping his arms around you guys.

"This town is fucked," Mindy hissed through her tears. You all nodded in agreement, the four of you huddled on the floor, becoming even closer than you would have possibly imagined.