4.

* * ☾ * *

King Romulus' POV

With nearly a year cooped up in the stone prison—Also known as his kingdom's castle, he was thankful to get some fresh air. Not to mention that he was eliminating two sets of issues.

One is that besides his Beta and Delta, the council thought that he enough wasn't being done to solve the human trafficking issue. Which he should be grateful for, considering there were more wolves than humans on the council. And that their consideration of the topic meant things were changing.
The second issue ultimately turns into a white lie, involving his search for his mate.

No part of him wanted to fall into the trap of being given a female, even if Lady Mariah was as beautiful and intelligent as they say. His wolf still felt hatred towards the situation, and he was ever so thankful to be away from the stuffy tower.

Romulus decided that he would do this more often, escape into the world in skin or as a beast. It has been so long since he was one with the people, one of the pack. Even if the Alphas were acting as though he was blessing them with every word they spoke, while others weren't as friendly.

Good. Romulus didn't want a friendly Alpha's controlling the land, he wanted experienced and well-in-command males who knew just how to act on their whims.

His Enforcers were gaining a bit of leeway with the investigation, the missing humans ranged from adults, minors, and young children. But the only issue is he hadn't a clue as to where they were headed.

A rumor that he wasn't sure he debunked, was that an Alpha on the outskirts was feeding another kingdom far east the weakest link—But Romulus figured those who had petty crimes would be punished in the same regard.

The suggestions from Enforcers were all relatively the same, whether the main objective was breeding, eating, or labor. And it made Romulus grovel that this is what the kingdom had fallen to.

"Sir? Are you alright?" Delta Lyall questioned, and the king could only hum as he took to the view of the pack below. "What is the headcount of this pack?"

"Including humans, sir?" It had taken all but a glance in his direction to know that the Alpha had meant everyone. And after the run down, a growl had escaped his chest at the prospect of a mother not being able to hold her child—Or a family having lost their father.

"We need to start handling the funds. Families cannot survive like this. Lost mothers and fathers—What is the nearest orphanage?"

"Alpha Stephen of the Red Moon pack is attempting to expand his pack abilities, I suspect he will be the first to—

"The first?!" The outrage had nearly shaken the entire building to bits, and all Delta Lyall could do was breathe in a fight against the submission. "Yes sir, otherwise the kingdom has one in its wall and just outside. They aren't in an established pack. I believe it is simply a family caring for a multitude of younger pups on a farm." While that sounded extremely better than nothing in it's place, it still didn't constitute as fair.

"I doubt any child in this pack knows, or has the means to ask an Alpha to be directed to it. We need to manage this better, Lyall."

"Yes, sir. Should I write a message back to the castle?"

"Yes. I want every other pack to have a safety net for younglings to go. You said Red Moon pack was in the means of preparing one? Good. Center that and we will set up the necessary funds. And the funds to support missing members' families." It sounded logical, that if by chance there were too many children in one area, they could shift around.