16.

* * ☾ * *

King Romulus POV

It was the third time he was meeting the two men, Clive and Ray, to see what else he can tempt to get out of them. But this time things were improving, as survivors from the camp that Rhea—Amory—Had saved were starting to resurrect.

The perseverance was mind-boggling, and the King didn't hesitate to pass on the knowledge that he would pay for all their troubles. Set them up wonderfully in the kingdom and give them whatever they pleased.

Hoping that it appeased them, but also Amory, if she ever decides to show herself.

"Shh, Ray just fell asleep." Clive hissed, his shoulders hunching as he realized it was the king. "My apologies. We can take this to the hallway if you want." Ray settled the matter as he turned around and eyed the King before letting out a nod.

"—Wanna listen." Romulus could smell the infection in the male starting to fester further into his chest, and while he had one of the best of the Kingdom's Healers working closely. Even he couldn't figure out the tonic that Rhea had managed to scrounge out in the forest.

Clive tried to remember how she created such a concoction, but Romulus was here to give a bit of news. News he wondered if they could digest at the moment.

"My scouts have found a few dozen or so survivors. I am not sure if they're the ones from the camp Rhea has saved you from or not, and I have no desire to scare them further. But, if you are up to it, I would like you both to be the middle band in communicating with them." His eyes lingered on Clive, his thin figure slowly growing in muscle mass the more meals he took—And Romulus was very pleased to know that his guard teased him for having the appetite of a wolf, but Romulus didn't care if he ate a deer on his own.

At least he ate, unlike Ray, who could hardly stomach much more than broth.

"More?... Were there any more females? My sister was—"

"I did not allow my males to say either of your names, they will be here in a few days. The carriages are slower than I like and there was a bit of struggle..." Another reason why Romulus did not want to come forward, as there would no doubt be a casualty or two.

"I—I'll do it, sir. Maybe they know more than we do about—" Clive had turned in pure panic to hear Ray's harsh cough, and Romulus couldn't help but come forward and hand the male a glass of water. Hoping it would at least clear the poor man's throat.

"My family...They were there too." His gravelly voice was not entirely cured with the water, but enough to get his thought out. "I'll try to find them, Ray. I'll even give up my bed here for them, yeah?"

Affection was strange to comprehend from a wolf's position, as he didn't think humans had that sort of ability. Not like his pack members. But here, Clive was patting the cool cloth on Ray's forehead and chest, trying to get his body temperature down.
Making Romulus' head tilt in attention to detail, hadn't Amory been affectionate?

Was that why he was so caught up on the Queen?
That his wolf was touched by the fact that she allowed him to hide in her bed when the storms settled over the castle?

Shaking off the thought, the Alpha King cleared his throat and nodded. "Lyall will debrief you both then, please do not make promises that you cannot keep without my knowledge, yes? I plan to rectify—"

"We know, sir. But some won't see it that way. Damage control only goes so far." The King expected this and nodded in that instance. Yet the sound of an incoming carriage had rung in his ear, electing a smile to come between them.