5.

* * ☾ * *

Healer Rhea's POV

It was both a blessing and a curse to be in such a position as Healer, a well-respected and diverse one at that. But with that came an entitlement that Rhea wasn't all that sure if she qualified to have.

Course, Alpha Stephen had fought tooth and nail to have her own infirmary established, but that came with the benefit of housing others from out of town—And with her worry of the pups catching a cold from visiting packs, it made things difficult to mandate and control.

Not to mention that researching a potential vaccine or cure was eating away in her free time.

Rhea couldn't remember the last time she had picked up a book for pleasure, not when there was so much work to be done or planning—And with such an unpredictable schedule, it made something so simple as sleep turn her on edge.

It wasn't the first time she'd been woken up in the middle of the night with an urgency like no other.

Yet here and now, it was difficult to gauge the times of aliments. Granted, the space and support of the Alpha came with the ability to train two other women—A she-wolf that went by the name of Noira, while Sadie held the same blood as Rhea herself.

Human.

Though it seemed that Noira was requested highly by Alpha Stephen as she was most certainly top of her class and onto something more than just the average warrior—Even if her training schedule clashed with the better part of the healing lessons. It meant that there would be a Healer on the next hunting trip or something of the sort.

Rhea adored the idea of the help of some kind, and come the second week, they were certainly living up to her high expectations. Even if those around her had made comments about being a hard-ass.

She knew better than to think too deeply of that sort of thing, being a hard-ass in a situation where it could be life or death meant everything.

Both Noira and Sadie had found out that this job was not for the faint-hearted. Their first week consisted of a hunting trip going wrong, a premature birth, and a handful of sick pups.

Leaving Noira to feel awfully protective of them when they stayed overnight for observation—Ultimately leaving the Healer nook to have another set of beds when Rhea couldn't bother Cedric to give her an escort home.

Yes. Even a month later, an escort was necessary. It meant that the threat of Rogues was just as dangerous as it was then, if not more. And Rhea's concern had sky-rocketed, even if she continued to read the King's newest statements as though it were a morning paper to pair with her coffee.

She wanted to stay up to date with everything, and the news remained the same. Enforcers were making their rounds through the packs and Rhea had felt the reminder of the King's up and coming arrival with the first wave of his guard making their way through and mingling with the pack's warriors.

When she had gone by the name Amory, there was hardly a moment when eyes weren't on her at all times. Even behind closed doors, there was an ear out—Where she would eat a meal that had a few bites taken from each portion, insinuating that there was a threat of poison to be found.

And it never helped that her father was overly protective, especially after the death of her mother.

Yet here, she could walk in front of them with ease, and it wasn't that difficult to spot the familiar faces considering she had been introduced when each group had arrived. Clearly, they were taking their time and not addressing the growing concerns, but Rhea knew the right questions to ask Alpha Stephen when he was otherwise preoccupied.