13.

* * ☾ * *

King Romulus' POV

Leaving Red Moon had been both a blessing or curse, as standing within Amory's home had given him the clarity and confidence he needed to pursue her properly. Even now, he had a small piece of her clothing wrapped around his wolf's paw to ensure that she could not hide behind that damned concoction.

Romulus had to admit, she was smart—smarter than any had given her credit for.
But he knew the truth.
He certainly wanted Amory to take some sort of leadership position outright beside him, as far as he could see, her father hadn't any plans for the princess to marry.

Off the top of his head, Romulus had predicted that Voron of the Elfin Kingdom North here would act as a contender. From his past meetings with the raven-haired prince, he could see why his Omegas and human maids had swooned at the thought.

Another grumble had managed through his beast's chest at the mere thought of another male with Amory, their friendship had meant much more to him than settling her over to her father's past betrothed.

Alpha! Meet me back towards the inn, the scouts believe they've found something!

Lyall's voice had been a blessing, and Romulus skidded to a stop and allowed himself the moment to reorient his movements and huff in distaste. He had thought this was progress, but at least he hadn't made too much distance between the inn and his current location.

Granted, it had wasted an hour—And an hour could be the instance of life and death when Amory was concerned. Romulus might trust that she has taken care of herself well this past decade, but she's grown comfortable—Alpha Stephen had even said so.

It was suspicious behavior that Stephen could ignore the proper orders, and Romulus didn't doubt that he would need to send a few Enforcers or Lyall himself to check and see that Amory hadn't returned under the radar.

While the entire story hadn't been told, Stephen's stress to the situation spoke the truth—That Amory is truly missing and that the Red Moon Alpha doesn't have any more information than that.

Though Romulus was just nearing his Delta's scent, hopeful that there was any bit of a lead—Yet upon following after the trail, and rounding the better part of a small lake, he caught a few Enforcers managing to dig out a few rusted tools and laughed at the human's inventions.

"Enforcer Marrow." He instated, and the younger wolf placed the tool back down with a greeting nod. "Alpha, the Royal Delta is at the house up north...We don't know what to make of what happened, sir." Returning back to his fur, Romulus darted forward and grunted in distaste as he certainly did smell the remanence of a few humans in the mix.

And a deer. Vinegar—And blood, lots of blood.

Yet one, in particular, had caused a strike to his soul as he skidded to a stop. Shifting nearly instantly as his knees dug into the soil beneath him.

"She was here..." He whispered, and Lyall was standing just in the doorway as he came forward towards his King. Offering a pair of borrowed trousers and nodding.

"Yes. Three Rogues were killed in the altercation. Petilo has taken them off that way to burn them."
"She was with other humans?" The question had lingered before the Delta had responded, knowing full well that his King was on his last few tics of sanity before turning for his beast and scowering the entire kingdom on his own.

"Yes, at least three male humans. Their blood trail leads West, we've already sent a few pairs of scouts in that direction. It is not that old, Alpha. This is the lead that we needed." It was of some reassurance, but not enough.
Never enough for a moody beast that wanted to hear Amory's voice. That craved it.