41.

* * ☾ * *

Healer Rhea's POV

Rhea had been well versed in the realm of diplomacy, yet upon sitting with the current King in nothing more than her blandest dress, boots, and a cane at her feet...She felt underwhelming unprepared.
Not to mention her hair must look like an absolute bird's nest given the state of how all of that had gone down.

Her head had been bowed forward while her hands had locked at her center in her lap, there truly was no winning this battle. Yet when she picked up her gaze through her lashes, only to find a male that was for certain not a Kingly figure.

Romulus had his head tilted to the side as his eyes lingered about her figure, interest clearly in place—Though it slowly flickered from his natural eyes to that of his wolf. Blackened orbs had soon taken over, causing her heart to race as she tried to remind herself that this was someone she knew.

Someone she knew once upon a time, and she truly did not want the attention of his wolf if he was starting to grow a thirst for revenge with blood.

"Rom?" She whispered, and that had alerted him with ease. He couldn't remember the last time someone had called him by his nickname. Not since...Since the female right before him had been teasing him.

The King had pushed forward, leaning close to her cheek, and breathed her in—Not worthy enough to imprint her scent from the base of her neck. No, he had nuzzled her cheek before kissing it politely.
Remembering that she was human, after all.

"You saved my life all that time ago, and I plan to do the same, my Queen. We'll be traveling to a nearby inn to rest." His words had done nothing to comfort her, as she still seemed as startled as when stepped off the carriage for the first time. "We'll talk about all things. Rest assured, I know you must have your questions." She nodded, still realizing that there were far too many ears to give them the proper privacy, yet she shivered in distaste and worry.

Perhaps his kindness would be found in explaining her execution outright for her to prepare.
She could handle that, couldn't she?

Yet when she did shiver, Romulus did not hesitate to unhook his cloak and swing it over one of her shoulders and buckle it for her. Rhea had mumbled a quick word of appreciation, but with him sitting in such close proximity, memories started to flow into her mind.

Things she hadn't thought of in years.

She had lifted her head and closed her eyes, it seemed rather forced and unnatural for a human to manage, but both Romulus and his beast had been pleased to see the female speak wolven.

When her eyes opened once again, she smiled back to her dragger. And Romulus plucked it up from beside their feet and offered it once again. "It's a beautiful piece." He wished for her to speak again, but Rhea had remained silent, her eyes continued to bounce and every direction.

Not to mention her small frame was knocked with each damned pebble they drove over.

She truly did not know what to do, nothing she could have planned, nowhere did this fit in her life plan—To get caught.
And how?!

Perhaps she could dig a bit, or seek out more information. It did not matter that he claimed that they would speak in private, she needed to know now. And she needed to fill the space where the only noise was the tinkering of the carriage wheels and their breathing.

"What is going to happen when we reach the inn?" She questioned, and Romulus held his breath, not wanting to miss her voice and question.

"I will be meeting with two young males that I wish to join my group of council-men sometime in the future, I have a rather extreme idea that I want to bring up with them. More so getting an opinion and giving them a warning. But please bear in mind, we can exert other options." She truly didn't expect to hear him be so evasive to her demise, but Rhea was rather grateful to the point of not being straightforward.