6.

* * ☾ * *

King Romulus' POV

He felt a disturbance, one that didn't leave him even when he traveled with his beast—Refusing the carriage that Wilhelm had wrongly assumed he'd need, but even Delta Lyall wasn't all too supportive of him freely running in his beast.

The latest intel suggested that the Rogues were experimenting with weapons, melted by the very substance that was meant to subdue and possibly kill a wolf of any standing—Alpha to Omega.

It disturbed him, of course, but this was a significantly different tug. And even with the amount of time he dwelled on the idea of what was happening between either his question to find answers towards the Rogues plaguing his lands, or that he had ultimately agreed with his inner beast in trying to find a mate.

That he was starting to feel the urge to find her, mate her, and start the next step in any young male's life.

The only soothing notes he had throughout the day is when Romulus attempted to conjure up a picture of his beloved female. Would she be short or tall?

Would she hold herself with confidence or grow shy—He hoped for the latter, considering the council and those living in the castle were quite brutal, even under his own watch. But he wouldn't mind a timid mate, one that craved his protection.
It made him feel needed—Would make him feel needed.

"Hmm..." He let out a softened groan, and Lyall looked up from his current document with a frown. His Alpha had been like this ever since they had left the first visited pack, and that had been weeks ago.

"Is it the headache again, sir?" He asked, trying to remain polite and not at all nosey. But Romulus knew that Lyall had the right to worry, it was his position after all. "Yes. A headache." He claimed, realizing that is the lie he was going with.

"Perhaps you should see a Healer, I've heard the whispers rave about a female in Red—"

"I don't need a damn Healer! I need these Rogues to show themselves!" He huffed, turning impatient and unfair to his Delta and closest friend. So with another sigh, he frowned at his own temperament. "Apologies, Lyall. I don't know what's coming over me."

"Your beast, sir. It's becoming erratic." An uncontrolled beast wasn't unheard of, but having it as an Alpha—King Alpha—Was unnecessary and worrying at best. "I have him under control."

"For now. What does it feel like?"

"Feels like I'm searching for something, something close. It's getting closer."

"What is, sir?" Romulus turned over his shoulder, his breathing light before he began to rub his eyes. "Sir, what is getting closer?" Romulus had shaken his head out, a very wolflike action that told Lyall, without the words, that his wolf was close to the surface.

"This is getting too overwhelming. We'll skip the last few packs, they're at a higher standing anyhow. We should be getting back to the castle—"

"No," Lyall smirked, realizing something that could be spotted a mile away if not closer. But it confirmed that the Alpha was sensing his mate on the horizon, and it instantly caused the Delta to become on watch.

It was in any Delta's power to make sure that his Luna was safe and well protected, even if it was his future Luna—Queen Luna, he should say.

"Sir, if this pertains to you finding a mate. Please know what that means for the rest of the kingdom. To your awaiting Beta and Delta who wish to protect—" A growl had silenced him, but a smile still elected onto the male's face.