61.

* * ☾ * *

Lady Rhea's POV

There were nearly a million things that could have possibly gone wrong today, and it felt like all of them had been ticked off the box—Even now Rhea was moving around trying to decide if it would be best to wear the necklace or nothing.

As if she wasn't already at the ball trying to greet and learn the names of the guests in attendance.

"Do not let this go over your head, Lady Rhea. The King may have chosen you for planning the ball, but the night is not over yet." It sounded like a threat, and it most certainly hadn't gone over her head, as Mithwell put it.

What did, was how badly she underestimated the amount of appetizers that would fill the wolves in the vicinity—Meaning she had to start doubling up on whatever was the quickest.

"Lady Rhea, might I say you look breathtaking this evening." She withheld an eye roll as it would most certainly look disrespectful given that the King has given her a compliment.

"Thank you, your majesty—I do like this shade of blue you've chosen, it matches your eyes." Indeed it does, so much so that Rhea couldn't help but fantasize about those eyes glowing in the dark—With only the light from her fireplace to hint on where his next approach would turn to.

"Ah yes, a female of mine chose it. I think it's the perfect pick of the evening...And you've certainly outdone yourself here." He gestured towards the dozens of happy faces that were appeased by her efforts.

"I would hope I managed alright, I have never planned a ball before." Rhea honestly admitted, going to move to the closest server with wine—Which of course led to the King taking his own glass.

As if he hadn't sampled enough of it in the days prior.

"Never? I would have assumed you would have."
"No. It was tradition that a female in my position would celebrate her sixteenth birthday alongside her mother and plan this sort of ball for the Kingdom...My mother hadn't made it, and I almost didn't either." Yes, that was a condescending notion to be adding to the party.

"In honor of what could have been then, hm?"
"I am certain that I can fulfill it with a future child, whether I have a son or daughter." She said, her smile uplifting all that happened in the last few moments on his walk towards her.
"That sounds like a promise, one I look forward to. But a word of caution, Mariah has come to thank me for allowing her to be the host. I am not sure what it is she's planning, but it cannot bode well." Rhea blinked, hadn't Mithwell said some scrutinizing comment about the King giving her the reigns?

Now Mariah was wanting to take the credit?

"It's exhausting, Romulus..." She whispered, and a flash of dread crossed over her face as he too narrowed his gaze to connect to the father and daughter duo. "Then let's anger them a bit further, hm?"

It hadn't occurred to her what the male had meant exactly, but as he gestured his hand to take hers—Things had fallen right into place as she placed her glass to the side and allowed him to lead the way.

"If I could have everyone's attention for a moment...I am thankful that you could all attend tonight's Ball. I will admit, it was a bit last minute on my behalf. But I would like to take this moment and thank my esteemed Councilwoman, Lady Rhea for her hard work and dedication for putting it together in such a short amount of time." There had been multiple cheers and positive signs of engagement to the King's word, that she truly hadn't managed to process the music that began to pick up louder upon Romulus' motion.

"What are you doing?" Rhea hissed, and the male had the audacity to smirk—
"Taking claim to that promised dance. We'll take it slow." And indeed he did, and even though it had been a blessing to have the excuse to have her in his arms in such a public viewing.