Witnesses and the Final Confrontation

Dean stared at the files in his hands with concentration, a thin film of sweat appearing on his forehead as he crossed the lines to and fro, marking them with a dot as he reached the target. Eventually, he stopped, frozen in place before jumping out of his seat and surprising Sam from the doze he had been in.

"I found it! I know where the headquarters is!" Dean said excitedly, not even feeling the tug of tiredness on his eyes as he pointed it out to Sam, who pulled from his exhaustion to look it over, a grin splitting his face. Between the research and being with Gabriel, the older Winchester could tell it was taking a serious toll on the man.

"Finally..." Sam breathed, standing and giving his brother a hug. Dean let out a small laugh, grabbing his phone and jacket, running a hand through his slightly greasy hair. He wrinkled his nose, trying to remember when he last took a shower.

"I'm going to go to the police station and tell the chief. Maybe we can finally bust this place. You coming?" Dean asked as he shrugged the leather jacket on and tucking his phone into his pocket. He couldn't wait to finally catch the bastards that had killed Mike, and after this, he could finally turn his attention back to Castiel and repair their lives.

Sam nodded, standing and swamping Dean with his height. "Yeah, I'd love to get these bastards as much as you." Sam said, a grim determination set in his features. Dean nodded his head, grabbing his gun and tucking it before exiting the room, Sam in tow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Castiel stood patiently just beyond the wood double doors that held the leader of the Angels. He took a shuddering breath, playing with the sleeve of his trench coat as he waited for the final moment when he would get his revenge. They had taken his gun as a precaution and patted him down, but there were other places to hide a weapon if you wished.

At last, the doors opened and a man walked out of the room, his hair short and his eyes glimmering dangerously. "The leader will see you now." The man said, his voice completely monotoned. Castiel stood, giving him a heartless nod before taking a deep breath and walking in.

He came upon on a dark wood-colored room, books lining the walls on shelves all the way around until they came to a stop beside a large window, illuminating the entire room. In front of the window was a desk, where a short man with wild hair sat, a deceiving smile on his face

"Castiel. I've heard so much about you." The man said, his voice much higher than Castiel's own. He glanced around the room, noting of the other men that stood on guard, watching him like a hawk. He didn't have to even study them to know they carried guns. He mentally cursed, knowing he would be dead before he could ever do anything to the man.

"I have heard nothing about you though." Castiel replied, his voice and expression stoic. Dean had often told him that he was sruprisingly intimidating when he did it, though he could never imagine how. It didn't seem to work on the man, much to his disappointment.

"I am ashamed to say that there is not much to be told."The man replied with a nonchalant shrug. Castiel squinted his eyes, tipping his head slightly.

"A name would be nice." Castiel muttered, making the man let out a sharp laugh before it quieted back down. The man studied him with a new interest, a smirk on his face as he stood, much shorter than Castiel could even imagine.

"Most here just call me Metatron. I believe that's all you would ever need to know about me. What I want to know, is how the brother of Michael, killer of our biggest enemy John Winchester, has for so long escaped our grasp." Metatron said, leaning on the desk with an interest that made Castiel's skin crawl. He didn't like this man, not one bit.

"Sheer luck I guess." Castiel replied, involuntarily clenching his fist. He didn't want to have small talk with this man. He wanted to kill him. Metatron didn't seem to notice his frustrations and gave an impressed nod, shuffling some papers on his desk momentarily.

"I believe so, though whether bad or good luck...well, I have yet to find out." Metatron replied, his eyes narrowing as he studied Castiel. The Novak swallowed thickly, casting another glance at the men. They had not let up on the staring, making him scowl.

"I believe you have a husband, yes? John Winchester's son if I remember so correctly." Metatron continued, as if he were talking to an old friend rather than a complete stranger. Castiel nodded, not trusting his words as he was reminded of the threats he had received, and the punishment Mike had suffered. A moment of silence passed between them.

"I also had a son, until you killed him." Castiel growled, losing his patience as Metatron only stared blankly on. "I joined, so why did he have to suffer?"

Metatron wrinkled his nose for a minute, as if trying to remember who exactly Castiel was talking about. If his blood wasn't boiling with anger before, it certainly was now. "Uh... Mike. Wasn't it? Ah, yes, the witness." Metraton said, smiling as he remembered. "Honestly, that had nothing to do with your recruitment. The poor boy was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. We can't let someone live if they know our members now can we?"

Castiel huffed, taking a deep breath before throwing his caution to the wind. "You should have really considered who you were killing and what their loved ones could do before you did so." Castiel replied, not even glancing at the men as they pulled out their guns, aiming at him. He didn't move, but he fingered the dagger in his palm, gauging his chances of killing Metatron before getting shot.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem very likely.

Metatron smirked, looking Castiel up and down. "And you finally revealed your true self. Just a grieving father out for revenge. Don't worry, my ex-recruit, you will be joining him shortly. Kill him." Metatron said, his voice turning harsh as he turned away.

Castiel closed his eyes, not bothering to try and run. He was done for. He sent a quiet prayer to Dean, hoping that he would forgive him for what he had done, for leaving him alone.

It seemed his prayer was answered, because the door behind them flew open, and he heard his angel's voice as he saved his life.

"Police! Get your hands up!"