God Help Us All

The first ten minutes of the ride to the market was quiet, but Gabriel could just feel the tension in the air as the Impala shook slightly as it grumbled to a halt, probably a red light. He could pratically feel the question that was buzzing in Dean's head, and knew that he had come along for a different purpose rather than just helping him pick out groceries.

"Gabriel...can I ask you something?" He heard Dean ask and sat more attentive, turning his head to the general direction of the driver's seat.

"What is it? You sound worried." Gabriel asked, tipping his head. He never Dean as one to be hesitant, so the way the man spoke gave chills down the Novak's spine, making him wonder what possibly could be so bad that Dean had to be careful about it.

"Did Gadreel ever say anything about the night his parents were killed?" Dean asked, a grim tone in his voice as the Impala slowly took off again. Gabriel frowned, wondering why Dean would want to know about that.

"No, he told us he was asleep when it happened. Why do you ask?" Gabriel responded, running his hands over his jeans nervously, feeling a small thread roll under his fingers.

"I was just wondering. We never caught the killer after all." Dean responded, though there was a faint relief in his voice that had Gabriel thinking that there was something more to the story. He dropped it though and grunted in response, feeling the car pull to a stop before the engine was switched off.

"Come on. Cas asked for a lot of the things that I don't even know what the hell they are." He heard Dean say before the door to the Impala squeaked open, followed by it slamming shut a moment later. Gabriel quickly scrambled out, not wanting to be left behind, and took a couple steps towards the front of the car.

He heard a rumble of an engine and felt a hand on the back of his jacket, dragging him back as the sound of a vehicle rushed past.

"Woah there. Don't run into oncoming traffic." He heard Dean say, feeling a gentle pat on his back before he linked arms with Gabriel, leading him towards the market. Gabriel gave out a soft thank you, shivering as he imagined being hit by a car again.

The cool air welcomed them from the hot afternoon sun as they entered the market, the sound of footsteps and chatter filling Gabriel's ear, a faint ring of cash registers echoing in the lower tone of the background. This, he had to trust Dean with, the different sounds making it hard to hear exactly where he was going. Thankfully, Dean was rather adept at leading him through the aisles and around people.

"So, he wanted leeks. Isn't that some kind of vegatable?" Dean asked, pausing in his step. Gabriel felt a waft a coldness brush against his arm, and knew they were at the refridgerated aisles.

"Yeah, they look sort of like gigantic green onions that splits into three ends." Gabriel described, feeling Dean's grip slide from his arm as the man went to look. Gabriel waited patiently, until he felt a cold object brush his hand.

"These are it, right?" Dean asked, and Gabriel felt along them, trying hard to remember what leeks had felt like. Even though he was pretty good at being blind, he still had a long way to go.

"I think so." Gabriel said, nodding as Dean grabbed his arm again, hearing the soft rustle of paper following a moment later.

"Then we just have swiss and pepper jack cheese, vinagerette, and red cabbage." Dean read off, only to scoff slightly. "What the hell is red cabbage?"

"Plot twist. It's purple." Gabriel said with a smirk, making Dean groan at the stupid names of food. The Novak chuckled at the Winchester's antics, allowing the man to drag him around.

They only had a few moments of chat and walking before they heard the screaming of a woman, sending a panic through the both of them. Together, they hurried towards the noise, Gabriel struggling to keep his balance, as he heard the woman's screams become coherent.